Jun 29, 2010, 3:45 PM EST
David Freese has been playing through a sprained ankle for the past several weeks, but after giving him Monday off the Cardinals placed him on the disabled list today.
Handed the starting job at third base after putting up strong numbers in the minors, the 27-year-old rookie hit .296 with a .361 on-base percentage and .404 slugging percentage in 70 games while playing better defense than expected.
However, those solid overall numbers include Freese going just 13-for-59 (.220) with zero homers and a 16/3 K/BB ratio in his last 20 games, so with Felipe Lopez around to step in at third base the Cardinals are smart to give him some time to heal.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (102)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)