Jun 29, 2010, 3:45 PM EDT
David Freese has been playing through a sprained ankle for the past several weeks, but after giving him Monday off the Cardinals placed him on the disabled list today.
Handed the starting job at third base after putting up strong numbers in the minors, the 27-year-old rookie hit .296 with a .361 on-base percentage and .404 slugging percentage in 70 games while playing better defense than expected.
However, those solid overall numbers include Freese going just 13-for-59 (.220) with zero homers and a 16/3 K/BB ratio in his last 20 games, so with Felipe Lopez around to step in at third base the Cardinals are smart to give him some time to heal.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)