Jun 29, 2010, 3:45 PM EDT
David Freese has been playing through a sprained ankle for the past several weeks, but after giving him Monday off the Cardinals placed him on the disabled list today.
Handed the starting job at third base after putting up strong numbers in the minors, the 27-year-old rookie hit .296 with a .361 on-base percentage and .404 slugging percentage in 70 games while playing better defense than expected.
However, those solid overall numbers include Freese going just 13-for-59 (.220) with zero homers and a 16/3 K/BB ratio in his last 20 games, so with Felipe Lopez around to step in at third base the Cardinals are smart to give him some time to heal.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 18
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 26
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 24
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 39
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)