Jun 29, 2010, 11:17 AM EDT
The Braves aren’t the only team dealing with a thumb injury to a
superstar: Chase Utley jammed his thumb sliding into second in last
night’s game and had to leave the game.
We’re still not sure how
bad his problem is — he’ll have an MRI today — but any lost time for
him would obviously be a big blow. And not just on the field.
Psychologically too, if Matt Gleb’s article about it in the Inquirer is any
indication. All of the Phillies players seemed rather shell shocked
that Utley — who plays through injuries all the time — actually had to
leave this game.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 14
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 75
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)