Jun 29, 2010, 1:45 PM EST
Last night’s Twins-Tigers game featured Joel Zumaya’s gruesome-looking arm injury, but before that Jim Thome provided a much more amusing sight with his first triple since 2004.
As you might expect, there were some unusual circumstances at play. In the fourth inning Thome clobbered a Jeremy Bonderman fastball into the gap in right-center field and as right fielder Brennan Boesch settled under it to play the carom the ball ricocheted off the side of Target Field’s out-of-town scoreboard, bouncing about 50 feet toward the right field line.
The average human being probably would have scored standing up for an inside-the-park homer and the average land mammal probably would have at least had a stand-up triple, but because Thome is 39 years old and runs more or less like a duck he slid into third base just ahead of the relay throw.
MLB.com has the video, which you should watch if only to cleanse your palate of the Zumaya footage.
Thome went over six years between triples, during which time he played in 770 games, logged 3,050 plate appearances, hit 179 homers, drove in 508 runs, and notched a total of 643 hits. Oh, and between Thome triples there were a total of 13 no-hitters across MLB.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)