Jun 29, 2010, 1:45 PM EST
Last night’s Twins-Tigers game featured Joel Zumaya’s gruesome-looking arm injury, but before that Jim Thome provided a much more amusing sight with his first triple since 2004.
As you might expect, there were some unusual circumstances at play. In the fourth inning Thome clobbered a Jeremy Bonderman fastball into the gap in right-center field and as right fielder Brennan Boesch settled under it to play the carom the ball ricocheted off the side of Target Field’s out-of-town scoreboard, bouncing about 50 feet toward the right field line.
The average human being probably would have scored standing up for an inside-the-park homer and the average land mammal probably would have at least had a stand-up triple, but because Thome is 39 years old and runs more or less like a duck he slid into third base just ahead of the relay throw.
MLB.com has the video, which you should watch if only to cleanse your palate of the Zumaya footage.
Thome went over six years between triples, during which time he played in 770 games, logged 3,050 plate appearances, hit 179 homers, drove in 508 runs, and notched a total of 643 hits. Oh, and between Thome triples there were a total of 13 no-hitters across MLB.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (167)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)