Jun 29, 2010, 9:02 PM EDT
Reds general manager Walt Jocketty told Mark Sheldon of MLB.com that he is pleased with Aroldis Chapman’s transition to the bullpen.
“Excellent,” GM Walt Jocketty said when asked how Chapman was doing
as a reliever. “His last time out [on Saturday], he pitched one inning
and faced two left-handed hitters and struck them out. He got the
right-hander out. In that one performance, he was dominating.”
Chapman has allowed one run over three innings in two relief appearances with Triple-A Louisville, striking out five and walking one. The Cuban fireballer was scheduled to work two innings behind the rehabbing Edinson Volquez on Tuesday night.
As for when we’ll see Chapman debut in the big leagues, there’s at least a chance it could be before the end of July.
“It’ll be some time after the All-Star break before we make a decision,”
Chapman’s control, as evidenced by his walk rate of 5.4 BB/9 in the minors, is still a work in progress, but seeing his 100+ mph fastball is sure to be a real treat from the outset. Let’s just hope the Reds don’t keep him in the bullpen for long.
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 20
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 68
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (126)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)