Jun 29, 2010, 9:02 PM EST
Reds general manager Walt Jocketty told Mark Sheldon of MLB.com that he is pleased with Aroldis Chapman’s transition to the bullpen.
“Excellent,” GM Walt Jocketty said when asked how Chapman was doing
as a reliever. “His last time out [on Saturday], he pitched one inning
and faced two left-handed hitters and struck them out. He got the
right-hander out. In that one performance, he was dominating.”
Chapman has allowed one run over three innings in two relief appearances with Triple-A Louisville, striking out five and walking one. The Cuban fireballer was scheduled to work two innings behind the rehabbing Edinson Volquez on Tuesday night.
As for when we’ll see Chapman debut in the big leagues, there’s at least a chance it could be before the end of July.
“It’ll be some time after the All-Star break before we make a decision,”
Chapman’s control, as evidenced by his walk rate of 5.4 BB/9 in the minors, is still a work in progress, but seeing his 100+ mph fastball is sure to be a real treat from the outset. Let’s just hope the Reds don’t keep him in the bullpen for long.
- Zack Greinke hasn’t made decision about opt-out 0
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 18
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)