Joel Zumaya: fractured elbow, out for the year

Jun 29, 2010, 2:31 PM EDT

A talented but snakebitten reliever is bitten once again

UPDATE:  Sadly the worst case scenario has come to pass: Joel Zumaya fractured his elbow last night. Technically it’s “a non-displaced
fracture of the olecranon” which is the tip of his elbow.
He’s done for the season.

12:14 P.M.: cary scene on the mound in Minneapolis last night as Joel Zumaya suffered what appears to be a major arm
injury

Zumaya was pitching in the eighth inning to Delmon
Young. Catcher Gerald Laird said he heard a “pop” as the pitch was
thrown. After the pitch, which Young fouled off, Zumaya writhed in
obvious pain, his arm to his side and his thumb twitching. He eventually
went down to his knees on the grass.  When he left the game he held his
arm close to his body and walked gingerly as if each step was painful
for him.

Zumaya has had numerous injuries over the past couple of years, all
of which have been rather freaky (i.e. Guitar Hero, hurt while moving
boxes in his home during a wildfire).  He’ll have an MRI today,
but by all appearances, this is yet another major setback for a man who,
when healthy, can throw the ball 100 miles per hour.

1. HOLLA(R) - Jun 29, 2010 at 12:52 PM

If you set the over/under for innings pitched in the remainder of Zumaya’s career at one, I’ll take the under after seeing that. The hand twitching the whole time was pretty disturbing.

2. Md23Rewls - Jun 29, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Injuries I’m happy I did not witness: This one. What I marvel at is that guys can go through injuries like this and still want to pitch after they’ve been through the surgery and rehab. Like if I’m Zumaya right now, I’m not thinking, “Man, I hope I can come back in a year or so.” I’m thinking, “Where is the closest beach for me to retire to?”

3. MG19 - Jun 29, 2010 at 3:16 PM

youve obviously were never a baseball player

4. Spokes - Jun 29, 2010 at 3:39 PM

As soon as I saw this last night, I immediately thought about Tony Saunders. Zumaya didn’t break his humerous, but whenever I see a pitcher fall to the ground in pain after delivering a pitch, I have flashbacks to Saunders, who may have experienced the most deflating end to a career in modern-day baseball.

5. Md23Rewls - Jun 29, 2010 at 4:02 PM

Correct, I was never a baseball player and I have never gone through multiple surgeries, spent months rehabbing, only to later break my elbow and collapse on the field, limping off knowing that I have months and months more of rehab ahead of me to recover, with a high probability of more injuries in my future.

6. Blackheld - Jun 29, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Zoel Zumaya…his fan name is “Zoom-Zoom”, because his velocity is just wild…has gone through enough pain and suffering to make an NFL running back’s career look like vacation, and never once has he complained, He gets hurt, he rehabbs, he returns, and he has never lost a thing off his pitches.
    This guy missed all last year, rehabbing, and the pitch he threw which injured his elbow was 99 mph. A few pitches earlier, he touched 100 mph. We root for Joel because he deserves it He’ll be back, and when he does return, you can bet his nickname will still fit.
    Mazdas should be so good.

7. walk - Jun 30, 2010 at 1:28 AM

Billy wagner broke his arm twice when he was younger pitching, his right arm in fact. He swapped to pitch left handed after second broken bone. I saw a sports science show a few years back and they were attempting to see how much stress an arm can take on a major league fastball. Going from memory here but it seemed it was barely over a 100mph and they were entering the dange zone for fractures. I truly hope joel recovers but it may benefit him more to tone it down some to keep from hurting himself again, he is a rare talent and a person that i love to see play.

8. YANKEES1996 - Jun 30, 2010 at 1:54 PM

It was bad enough to watch the injury and the after effects on television I cannot even begin to imagine how the catcher felt having heard the pop from his arm when the injury occured. The sports world is full of freak accident injuries like this but seeing it happen always strikes a raw nerve. Here is to Joel Zumaya I hope you get well soon and even though I am not a Tigers fan I hope to see you pitching again real soon, God Bless you.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey