Jun 29, 2010, 6:30 PM EDT
The Binghamton Mets announced Tuesday that Jenrry Mejia has been placed on the seven-day disabled list with the posterior rotator cuff strain he suffered during his start Sunday.
The 20-year-old Mejia, whose name has come up in trade rumors involving Seattle’s Cliff Lee and Houston’s Roy Oswalt, was making his second Double-A start since being optioned out and shifted from the bullpen to the rotation. He pitched 2 1/3 innings Wednesday in his first outing, and he was in his second inning Sunday when soreness shut him down.
The Mets maintain that Mejia’s injury isn’t serious, but they’d be smart to be especially cautious with such a young arm. If the DL stint means Mejia can’t be shipped out in a bid for an ace, that might well be the best thing for the franchise for the long term. The Mets would be far from a lock for the postseason even with Lee in the fold, and Mejia could well be a big part of their rotation next year.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 24
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 20
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 107
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 128
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (128)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (108)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)