Jun 29, 2010, 6:30 PM EST
The Binghamton Mets announced Tuesday that Jenrry Mejia has been placed on the seven-day disabled list with the posterior rotator cuff strain he suffered during his start Sunday.
The 20-year-old Mejia, whose name has come up in trade rumors involving Seattle’s Cliff Lee and Houston’s Roy Oswalt, was making his second Double-A start since being optioned out and shifted from the bullpen to the rotation. He pitched 2 1/3 innings Wednesday in his first outing, and he was in his second inning Sunday when soreness shut him down.
The Mets maintain that Mejia’s injury isn’t serious, but they’d be smart to be especially cautious with such a young arm. If the DL stint means Mejia can’t be shipped out in a bid for an ace, that might well be the best thing for the franchise for the long term. The Mets would be far from a lock for the postseason even with Lee in the fold, and Mejia could well be a big part of their rotation next year.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 13
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)