Jun 29, 2010, 11:42 AM EST
After getting stuck with a loss and a no-decision despite allowing one run in each of his previous two starts Stephen Strasburg’s teammates let him down again last night versus the Braves.
The lineup failed to score a run in seven innings, shortstop Ian Desmond committed his 19th error by booting a double play that at least would have kept the score 0-0, and Sean Burnett allowed both inherited runners to score after coming on in relief.
Don’t let the box score fool you. Strasburg was good. His teammates stunk.
He’s now just 2-2 in five starts despite a 2.27 ERA, .216 opponents’ batting average, and 48/7 K/BB ratio in 31.2 innings. And if Desmond makes that play or the Nationals don’t completely implode behind Strasburg after the botched DP his ERA would still be under 2.00.
Strasburg is every bit as amazing as even the most ridiculous hype claimed he would be, but he’s still not good enough to make up for the other 24 guys on a team that has lost nearly two-thirds of their games over the past three seasons.
Finding a way to give him proper offensive, defensive, and bullpen support yet this season is probably asking too much, but hopefully the Nationals can make some major strides this offseason so the early years of Strasburg’s career aren’t littered with losses and no-decisions in games he pitched brilliantly.
With even average support Strasburg could easily be 5-0 with a 1.42 ERA right now.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 155
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 83
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (158)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)