Jun 29, 2010, 2:10 PM EDT
The Phillies swooned when they lost Jimmy Rollins to the DL earlier this year. Not saying there was a direct correlation or anything — what ailed them during the slump went beyond the absence of their shortstop — but the experience did nothing to give the team or its fans confidence that losing a starting infielder for an extended period is something you can just blow off. It stunk, really.
Now things doubly stink: the Phillies are placing both Chase Utley and Placido Polanco on the the DL.
Utley, as we noted earlier today, injured his right thumb sliding into second last night. He had an MRI earlier today. We don’t know how it went, but obviously it went bad enough to where the team feels he needs two weeks off. Polanco’s problems have been more chronic in nature: soreness and discomfort in his
elbow. He had a cortisone injection yesterday.
Greg Dobbs and Brian Bocock are going to be called up to replace Utley and Polanco. Not the fairest swap in the history of the world, but there you are.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 118
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 156
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 56
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (173)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (157)