Jun 29, 2010, 2:10 PM EDT
The Phillies swooned when they lost Jimmy Rollins to the DL earlier this year. Not saying there was a direct correlation or anything — what ailed them during the slump went beyond the absence of their shortstop — but the experience did nothing to give the team or its fans confidence that losing a starting infielder for an extended period is something you can just blow off. It stunk, really.
Now things doubly stink: the Phillies are placing both Chase Utley and Placido Polanco on the the DL.
Utley, as we noted earlier today, injured his right thumb sliding into second last night. He had an MRI earlier today. We don’t know how it went, but obviously it went bad enough to where the team feels he needs two weeks off. Polanco’s problems have been more chronic in nature: soreness and discomfort in his
elbow. He had a cortisone injection yesterday.
Greg Dobbs and Brian Bocock are going to be called up to replace Utley and Polanco. Not the fairest swap in the history of the world, but there you are.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 4
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 32
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 237
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (237)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)