Jun 29, 2010, 2:10 PM EDT
The Phillies swooned when they lost Jimmy Rollins to the DL earlier this year. Not saying there was a direct correlation or anything — what ailed them during the slump went beyond the absence of their shortstop — but the experience did nothing to give the team or its fans confidence that losing a starting infielder for an extended period is something you can just blow off. It stunk, really.
Now things doubly stink: the Phillies are placing both Chase Utley and Placido Polanco on the the DL.
Utley, as we noted earlier today, injured his right thumb sliding into second last night. He had an MRI earlier today. We don’t know how it went, but obviously it went bad enough to where the team feels he needs two weeks off. Polanco’s problems have been more chronic in nature: soreness and discomfort in his
elbow. He had a cortisone injection yesterday.
Greg Dobbs and Brian Bocock are going to be called up to replace Utley and Polanco. Not the fairest swap in the history of the world, but there you are.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 19
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 24
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 31
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (114)