Jun 29, 2010, 3:11 PM EDT
An interesting yet sad travelogue from a couple of Mets fans who found that, though Tiger Stadium itself is gone, the mound, the field and the flagpole remain. The “RIP Ernie” someone wrote on the pole coincided with a large cloud of eye-irritating dust infiltrating my den. Damndest thing.
In other news, if the blog doesn’t update for the rest of the day it could be a technical problem. Or it could be that I’ve taken an impromptu road trip to pour a bottle of something fine out on the pitchers mound as a final tribute to the ballpark that made me a fan.
(thanks to lar at Wezen-Ball for the head’s up)
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 6
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69