Wanna feel old? Mike Greenwell's son is a minor leaguer

Jun 29, 2010, 2:28 PM EST

I’m guessing people in Boston were aware of this, but it’s the first I’ve heard about it: Bo Greenwell — son of Mike — is a minor leaguer in the Indians’ organization, playing for the Lake County Captians up in Eastlake, Ohio. It’s one of those feel-good “what’s it like to be the son of a big leaguer” kind of stories, which I always enjoy.

One thing I like to do with those: try and read between the lines of all the glowing quotes to see if the kid is actually a prospect with a shot or if it’s the last time we’re ever going to hear about him. I thought this one was skewing distinctly in the “he probably won’t make it” direction to begin with, but then I was shocked to see the reporter actually got a quote from an anonymous scout basically slamming his speed and arm strength (he said nothing about how his stache matches up to Mike’s). I guess that’s good reporting — why make us wonder if you can get the actual dirt? — but I was rather surprised to see it in what you usually expect to be a fluff piece.

Anyway, the fact that guys who broke into the league when I was a teenager have kids old enough to be major leaguers themselves now is rather sobering.

1. Bankruptcy Clerk - Jun 29, 2010 at 2:42 PM

James Baldwin III (son of former White Sox pitcher James Baldwin Jr.) was drafted in the fourth round and signed by the Dodgers this year.
    James Baldwin, Jr. is 38.

2. Buccofan - Jun 29, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Wait until you’re old enough to have guys retiring whose fathers you saw as rookies, such as Brian McRae, Barry Bonds, the Boone brothers, Ken Griffey Jr., etc. But the real sign of age is when there are no more major leaguers older than you; happened to me a good while back when Dennis Martinez, Eck, and Danny Darwin all quit in the same off-season.

3. jwb - Jun 29, 2010 at 2:49 PM

5/1/2008 Julio Franco anunció su retiro del Tigres de Quintana Roo

4. nfieldr - Jun 29, 2010 at 3:29 PM

For us Braves fans, how about that Dale Murphy’s THIRD oldest son is an NFL’er

5. bigtrav425 - Jun 29, 2010 at 9:20 PM

I live 20 minutes from the lake county stadium in cleveland.I didnt know that i may have to go check him out just for shits n giggles

6. tdawg69 - Jun 30, 2010 at 8:50 AM

Here’s his stats so far for lake County:
    BA: .310
    HR:

7. tdawg69 - Jun 30, 2010 at 8:52 AM

Here’s his stats so far for lake County:
    BA: .310
    HR: 4
    RBI: 36
    SB: 15
    OPS: .823

8. fattums182 - Jun 30, 2010 at 9:55 AM

Greenwell was actually just promoted to Advanced-A Kinston last week where he’s hitting .412 through his first four games.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. G. Stanton (4044)