Jun 29, 2010, 2:28 PM EDT
I’m guessing people in Boston were aware of this, but it’s the first I’ve heard about it: Bo Greenwell — son of Mike — is a minor leaguer in the Indians’ organization, playing for the Lake County Captians up in Eastlake, Ohio. It’s one of those feel-good “what’s it like to be the son of a big leaguer” kind of stories, which I always enjoy.
One thing I like to do with those: try and read between the lines of all the glowing quotes to see if the kid is actually a prospect with a shot or if it’s the last time we’re ever going to hear about him. I thought this one was skewing distinctly in the “he probably won’t make it” direction to begin with, but then I was shocked to see the reporter actually got a quote from an anonymous scout basically slamming his speed and arm strength (he said nothing about how his stache matches up to Mike’s). I guess that’s good reporting — why make us wonder if you can get the actual dirt? — but I was rather surprised to see it in what you usually expect to be a fluff piece.
Anyway, the fact that guys who broke into the league when I was a teenager have kids old enough to be major leaguers themselves now is rather sobering.
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 0
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 14
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 157
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (96)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)