Jun 29, 2010, 2:28 PM EDT
I’m guessing people in Boston were aware of this, but it’s the first I’ve heard about it: Bo Greenwell — son of Mike — is a minor leaguer in the Indians’ organization, playing for the Lake County Captians up in Eastlake, Ohio. It’s one of those feel-good “what’s it like to be the son of a big leaguer” kind of stories, which I always enjoy.
One thing I like to do with those: try and read between the lines of all the glowing quotes to see if the kid is actually a prospect with a shot or if it’s the last time we’re ever going to hear about him. I thought this one was skewing distinctly in the “he probably won’t make it” direction to begin with, but then I was shocked to see the reporter actually got a quote from an anonymous scout basically slamming his speed and arm strength (he said nothing about how his stache matches up to Mike’s). I guess that’s good reporting — why make us wonder if you can get the actual dirt? — but I was rather surprised to see it in what you usually expect to be a fluff piece.
Anyway, the fact that guys who broke into the league when I was a teenager have kids old enough to be major leaguers themselves now is rather sobering.
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 1
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 5
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 54
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)