Jun 29, 2010, 2:28 PM EDT
I’m guessing people in Boston were aware of this, but it’s the first I’ve heard about it: Bo Greenwell — son of Mike — is a minor leaguer in the Indians’ organization, playing for the Lake County Captians up in Eastlake, Ohio. It’s one of those feel-good “what’s it like to be the son of a big leaguer” kind of stories, which I always enjoy.
One thing I like to do with those: try and read between the lines of all the glowing quotes to see if the kid is actually a prospect with a shot or if it’s the last time we’re ever going to hear about him. I thought this one was skewing distinctly in the “he probably won’t make it” direction to begin with, but then I was shocked to see the reporter actually got a quote from an anonymous scout basically slamming his speed and arm strength (he said nothing about how his stache matches up to Mike’s). I guess that’s good reporting — why make us wonder if you can get the actual dirt? — but I was rather surprised to see it in what you usually expect to be a fluff piece.
Anyway, the fact that guys who broke into the league when I was a teenager have kids old enough to be major leaguers themselves now is rather sobering.
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 6
- Cliff Lee exits start with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 11
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 133
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)