Jun 29, 2010, 2:28 PM EST
I’m guessing people in Boston were aware of this, but it’s the first I’ve heard about it: Bo Greenwell — son of Mike — is a minor leaguer in the Indians’ organization, playing for the Lake County Captians up in Eastlake, Ohio. It’s one of those feel-good “what’s it like to be the son of a big leaguer” kind of stories, which I always enjoy.
One thing I like to do with those: try and read between the lines of all the glowing quotes to see if the kid is actually a prospect with a shot or if it’s the last time we’re ever going to hear about him. I thought this one was skewing distinctly in the “he probably won’t make it” direction to begin with, but then I was shocked to see the reporter actually got a quote from an anonymous scout basically slamming his speed and arm strength (he said nothing about how his stache matches up to Mike’s). I guess that’s good reporting — why make us wonder if you can get the actual dirt? — but I was rather surprised to see it in what you usually expect to be a fluff piece.
Anyway, the fact that guys who broke into the league when I was a teenager have kids old enough to be major leaguers themselves now is rather sobering.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)