Jun 29, 2010, 2:28 PM EST
I’m guessing people in Boston were aware of this, but it’s the first I’ve heard about it: Bo Greenwell — son of Mike — is a minor leaguer in the Indians’ organization, playing for the Lake County Captians up in Eastlake, Ohio. It’s one of those feel-good “what’s it like to be the son of a big leaguer” kind of stories, which I always enjoy.
One thing I like to do with those: try and read between the lines of all the glowing quotes to see if the kid is actually a prospect with a shot or if it’s the last time we’re ever going to hear about him. I thought this one was skewing distinctly in the “he probably won’t make it” direction to begin with, but then I was shocked to see the reporter actually got a quote from an anonymous scout basically slamming his speed and arm strength (he said nothing about how his stache matches up to Mike’s). I guess that’s good reporting — why make us wonder if you can get the actual dirt? — but I was rather surprised to see it in what you usually expect to be a fluff piece.
Anyway, the fact that guys who broke into the league when I was a teenager have kids old enough to be major leaguers themselves now is rather sobering.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 272
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (275)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)