Jun 29, 2010, 2:47 PM EDT
Dayan Viciedo has started just twice in 10 games since the White Sox called him up from Triple-A, but manager Ozzie Guillen isn’t feeling sorry for the 21-year-old rookie:
Hell no. Viciedo is the luckiest man on earth. He’s making $10 million and living out of Cuba, he has cars better than mine, he spent one or two years in the minor leagues, and now he’s in the big leagues.
I can’t vouch for the “cars better than mine” part, but Viciedo did get $10 million from the White Sox to sign out of Cuba two offseasons ago.
Omar Vizquel has started 18 of 25 games at third base since Mark Teahen went down with a broken finger and the White Sox have won 15 of their last 18 games, so Guillen is understandably in no hurry to make a switch:
I want to give him more playing time, there’s no doubt. I love to manage the kids. I love to see the kids grow up in baseball. But right now we’re in the situation, I’m not saying he’s not the best guy, but the guys playing right now are playing pretty good, and I can’t make any changes.
Fair enough, but Vizquel has hit just .252 with a .311 on-base percentage and .319 slugging percentage this season and while general manager Ken Williams tries to acquire a big bat like Adam Dunn from the Nationals it would make sense to see if Viciedo can provide some offensive spark while starting more than once a week.
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 27
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 94
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 17
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)