Jun 29, 2010, 2:47 PM EDT
Dayan Viciedo has started just twice in 10 games since the White Sox called him up from Triple-A, but manager Ozzie Guillen isn’t feeling sorry for the 21-year-old rookie:
Hell no. Viciedo is the luckiest man on earth. He’s making $10 million and living out of Cuba, he has cars better than mine, he spent one or two years in the minor leagues, and now he’s in the big leagues.
I can’t vouch for the “cars better than mine” part, but Viciedo did get $10 million from the White Sox to sign out of Cuba two offseasons ago.
Omar Vizquel has started 18 of 25 games at third base since Mark Teahen went down with a broken finger and the White Sox have won 15 of their last 18 games, so Guillen is understandably in no hurry to make a switch:
I want to give him more playing time, there’s no doubt. I love to manage the kids. I love to see the kids grow up in baseball. But right now we’re in the situation, I’m not saying he’s not the best guy, but the guys playing right now are playing pretty good, and I can’t make any changes.
Fair enough, but Vizquel has hit just .252 with a .311 on-base percentage and .319 slugging percentage this season and while general manager Ken Williams tries to acquire a big bat like Adam Dunn from the Nationals it would make sense to see if Viciedo can provide some offensive spark while starting more than once a week.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (189)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)