Jun 29, 2010, 2:47 PM EDT
Dayan Viciedo has started just twice in 10 games since the White Sox called him up from Triple-A, but manager Ozzie Guillen isn’t feeling sorry for the 21-year-old rookie:
Hell no. Viciedo is the luckiest man on earth. He’s making $10 million and living out of Cuba, he has cars better than mine, he spent one or two years in the minor leagues, and now he’s in the big leagues.
I can’t vouch for the “cars better than mine” part, but Viciedo did get $10 million from the White Sox to sign out of Cuba two offseasons ago.
Omar Vizquel has started 18 of 25 games at third base since Mark Teahen went down with a broken finger and the White Sox have won 15 of their last 18 games, so Guillen is understandably in no hurry to make a switch:
I want to give him more playing time, there’s no doubt. I love to manage the kids. I love to see the kids grow up in baseball. But right now we’re in the situation, I’m not saying he’s not the best guy, but the guys playing right now are playing pretty good, and I can’t make any changes.
Fair enough, but Vizquel has hit just .252 with a .311 on-base percentage and .319 slugging percentage this season and while general manager Ken Williams tries to acquire a big bat like Adam Dunn from the Nationals it would make sense to see if Viciedo can provide some offensive spark while starting more than once a week.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 54
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 66
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 80
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)