Jun 29, 2010, 2:47 PM EST
Dayan Viciedo has started just twice in 10 games since the White Sox called him up from Triple-A, but manager Ozzie Guillen isn’t feeling sorry for the 21-year-old rookie:
Hell no. Viciedo is the luckiest man on earth. He’s making $10 million and living out of Cuba, he has cars better than mine, he spent one or two years in the minor leagues, and now he’s in the big leagues.
I can’t vouch for the “cars better than mine” part, but Viciedo did get $10 million from the White Sox to sign out of Cuba two offseasons ago.
Omar Vizquel has started 18 of 25 games at third base since Mark Teahen went down with a broken finger and the White Sox have won 15 of their last 18 games, so Guillen is understandably in no hurry to make a switch:
I want to give him more playing time, there’s no doubt. I love to manage the kids. I love to see the kids grow up in baseball. But right now we’re in the situation, I’m not saying he’s not the best guy, but the guys playing right now are playing pretty good, and I can’t make any changes.
Fair enough, but Vizquel has hit just .252 with a .311 on-base percentage and .319 slugging percentage this season and while general manager Ken Williams tries to acquire a big bat like Adam Dunn from the Nationals it would make sense to see if Viciedo can provide some offensive spark while starting more than once a week.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (112)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)