Who was the dude in the white shirt at the Braves-Nats game?

Jun 29, 2010, 10:40 AM EDT

The HardballTalk i-Team investigates a case of aggravated asshattery

The most remarkable thing about he Braves-Nats game last night was not
that Atlanta got to Stephen Strasburg a bit. It was not that the Nats’
defense melted down. It was not even that Tim Hudson quietly shut down
Washington.  It was the tall guy with the white polo shirt.

Anyone who watched the game on TV knows who I’m talking about. It
was a fan sitting in the front row behind home plate, just to the left
of the left-hand batter’s box.  Before most pitches by Strasburg he
would stand up with his arms out, or up or waving or whatever in an
attempt to distract him. After pitches by either pitcher — called
strikes by Strasburg and balls by Tim Hudson, mostly — he would stand
up with his hands on his head or his arms out in a “safe” motion or a
“c’mon, WTF?!” motion or some other random and distracting
gesticulation. He was quite a sight.

I wasn’t alone in noticing this: people all over Twitter were
commenting on it. One Nats fan told me that the Washington announcer
mentionined the guy, saying “You’re in a $300 seat.
Act like a man.”
By the seventh inning he cooled it
a bit as someone apparently complained and an usher warned him, but he
didn’t stop completely.

We all get annoyed at the random cell phone
wavers, but this guy was a different kettle of fish entirely. I went
from annoyed to strangely trasnfixed at his dedication and back to
annoyed. Now I’m mostly just curious. I want to know who this guy is and what motivated him.

My guess is
that, due to where those seats are, he’s someone rich, glamorous and
important like, say, the son of TV weekend weather guy. Maybe a non-equity
partner at mid-range law firm using the managing partner’s tickets.
Possibly a big-wheel latex salesman. As for motivation: I’m guessing he
was either interested in distracting Strasburg, attracting lady-folk or
breaking the record for the most Bud Lights consumed on a Monday night
(Atlanta division).

So, if you have any tips as to White Shirt Guy’s identity, please
pass them along to the HardballTalk i-Team (i.e. me) so I can try and
track him down for an interview or a feature story or something. I
promise I’ll be fair and let him tell his side of the story and
everything.

UPDATEI’m apparently not the only one who noticed.

1. JCD - Jun 29, 2010 at 11:30 AM

If he was at Fenway he would have had a slice of pizza thrown at him.

2. juggernautjay - Jun 29, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Agreed. This guy was a huge distraction for the casual TV watcher. Couldn’t imagine hearing his whining from the perspective of the batter/catcher/umpire. MASN captured a couple of sound bites and those limited bits were annoying.
    Purely drunk. Purely a homer. Purely distracting. Purely someone in need of attention.
    Sorta like Lady Gaga.

3. Jonny5 - Jun 29, 2010 at 11:40 AM

If he was in Philly he would have been puked on. Then someone would do the river dance on him. Then Tazed.

4. ben s - Jun 29, 2010 at 11:41 AM

C’mon Craig, he’s obviously a Braves fan too, meaning he lives somewhere near you (probably) so that should help you in tracking them down.

5. Craig Calcaterra - Jun 29, 2010 at 11:42 AM

I live in Ohio.

6. malmstorm - Jun 29, 2010 at 11:51 AM

That was annoying and really distracting. I’d have been pissed if I was sitting behind him. I can understand getting into the game, but standing up/sitting down with every pitch? Calm down!

7. nps6724 - Jun 29, 2010 at 11:55 AM

If he was in Philly, he would be the rule and not the exception :)

8. Alex Poterack - Jun 29, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Braves fans live in central OH?

9. Matt S. - Jun 29, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Aggravated asshattery. I’ll have to remember that one.

10. aleskel - Jun 29, 2010 at 12:13 PM

I think you could even call this one aggravated asshattery with malice of forethought

11. DMG784 - Jun 29, 2010 at 12:30 PM

It would have been great if Strausburg had just unloaded a fastball right at that guy. The net obviously would have prevented any serious harm, but Strausburg would probably be liable for assault with a deadly but awesome weapon. I don’t think, though, that assault with a deadly but awesome weapon on Strausburg’s part is an escalation from aggravated asshattery.

12. kct - Jun 29, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Whaddya all care for? Huh? The only thing that matters is another YANKEES SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP! YOU BUNCH OF STUPID MORONS!

13. aPHILLIEinMETLAND - Jun 29, 2010 at 6:11 PM

if he was in philly, ESPN would of made it their lead story.

14. hitman4786 - Jul 1, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Kct…what??? I’m a Yankee fans and it’s morons like you that have everyone hating. Try not acting six years old.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2479)