Jun 30, 2010, 2:15 PM EST
There was some buzz around the Twitterverse late this morning about how the Phillies had sent a scout to watch Cliff Lee pitch against the Yankees last night. Could they be trying to get in on that hot, hot Cliff Lee action?!
What the heck would [Phillies top scout Charlie] Kerfeld have to check out Lee for? I mean, Lee
pitched for the Phillies a year ago, won two games in the World Series
and has gotten even better since. The Phils know all they have to about
Lee . . .I’m guessing the
Phils have more pressing needs for Kerfeld to be racking up hotel points
on. In fact, they do. It’s called second and third base.
Baker thinks it’s the Mariners’ infielder Jose Lopez that has piqued the Phillies’ interest, and that they’d like him as a means of filling the hole opened by Chase Utley and Placido Polanco’s injuries.
Makes sense to me. A hell of a lot more sense than the Phillies chasing after Lee again. Which I don’t think Amaro would do simply because to do so would be to admit he made a mistake tading him in the first place, and big league execs don’t often do that, even if they should.
In other news, how hilarious is it that Charlie Kerfeld is the Phillies’ top scout? I don’t mean to trash the guy — I’m sure he’s great at what he does — but having watched the guy pitch and drink Busch Light and pour it all over Nolan Ryan’s head and everything back in the 80s, I didn’t think that one day he’d be a top lieutenant in well-run Major League front office.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 20
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 74
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)