Jun 30, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
There was some buzz around the Twitterverse late this morning about how the Phillies had sent a scout to watch Cliff Lee pitch against the Yankees last night. Could they be trying to get in on that hot, hot Cliff Lee action?!
What the heck would [Phillies top scout Charlie] Kerfeld have to check out Lee for? I mean, Lee
pitched for the Phillies a year ago, won two games in the World Series
and has gotten even better since. The Phils know all they have to about
Lee . . .I’m guessing the
Phils have more pressing needs for Kerfeld to be racking up hotel points
on. In fact, they do. It’s called second and third base.
Baker thinks it’s the Mariners’ infielder Jose Lopez that has piqued the Phillies’ interest, and that they’d like him as a means of filling the hole opened by Chase Utley and Placido Polanco’s injuries.
Makes sense to me. A hell of a lot more sense than the Phillies chasing after Lee again. Which I don’t think Amaro would do simply because to do so would be to admit he made a mistake tading him in the first place, and big league execs don’t often do that, even if they should.
In other news, how hilarious is it that Charlie Kerfeld is the Phillies’ top scout? I don’t mean to trash the guy — I’m sure he’s great at what he does — but having watched the guy pitch and drink Busch Light and pour it all over Nolan Ryan’s head and everything back in the 80s, I didn’t think that one day he’d be a top lieutenant in well-run Major League front office.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (108)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)