Are the Phillies scouting Cliff Lee, or is it something else?

Jun 30, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT

There was some buzz around the Twitterverse late this morning about how the Phillies had sent a scout to watch Cliff Lee pitch against the Yankees last night.  Could they be trying to get in on that hot, hot Cliff Lee action?!

Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times says no:

What the heck would [Phillies top scout Charlie] Kerfeld have to check out Lee for? I mean, Lee
pitched for the Phillies a year ago, won two games in the World Series
and has gotten even better since. The Phils know all they have to about
Lee . . .I’m guessing the
Phils have more pressing needs for Kerfeld to be racking up hotel points
on. In fact, they do. It’s called second and third base.

Baker thinks it’s the Mariners’ infielder Jose Lopez that has piqued the Phillies’ interest, and that they’d like him as a means of filling the hole opened by Chase Utley and Placido Polanco’s injuries.

Makes sense to me.  A hell of a lot more sense than the Phillies chasing after Lee again. Which I don’t think Amaro would do simply because to do so would be to admit he made a mistake tading him in the first place, and big league execs don’t often do that, even if they should.

In other news, how hilarious is it that Charlie Kerfeld is the Phillies’ top scout? I don’t mean to trash the guy — I’m sure he’s great at what he does — but having watched the guy pitch and drink Busch Light and pour it all over Nolan Ryan’s head and everything back in the 80s, I didn’t think that one day he’d be a top lieutenant in well-run Major League front office.

1. Jonny5 - Jun 30, 2010 at 2:30 PM

Seriously though, unless they’ll both be out until after the all star break, I don’t see a reason to fill the hole. If a good pitcher is acquired, AHEM! Lee Cough, cough. Halladay gave up 10 hits so far today btw……

2. Utley's hair - Jun 30, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Man–or in this case the Phightins–cannot live on 3-run homers by non-regulars alone. Damn.

3. Md23Rewls - Jun 30, 2010 at 3:31 PM

I’ve always wondered why teams send scouts to watch known commodities. Like when there was all the Halladay trade buzz a year ago and you had five scouts at every game he pitched in. What are you going to learn that you don’t already know? The dude’s Roy Halladay.

4. Boo Hoo Florio picked on your team - GET OVER IT - Jun 30, 2010 at 11:56 PM

I agree with Geoff Baker. The Phillies are hurting at 2B/3B and may need a guy like Lopez if one of those two are out months. Cliff Lee is the knee-jerk obvious observational call here.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3713)