Jun 30, 2010, 1:30 PM EST
Pop quiz, hot shot: you have a pitcher who can’t throw strikes and a bullpen that is, by far, the team’s weakest link. What do you do?
If you’re the Arizona Diamondbacks you put that pitcher in that bullpen and hope one of the fundamental laws of the universe (i.e. relief pitchers must throw strikes) is suspended in the greater Phoenix metropolitan area.
Look, Dontrelle Willis was a great pitcher for a while. He has sadly lost his mojo, however, and despite being given multiple chances, he does not look like he’s going to get it back. This is Major League Baseball. Not a charity ward. If Willis is to be pitching anywhere, he needs to be pitching someplace where he won’t be impacting games that matter.
And yes, even though the Dbacks are out of it, many of their opponents are not, and this grand experiment is simply bad for baseball. DFA him or waive him or do something to him, but by no means should he be pitching in the majors at this moment in time.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)