Jun 30, 2010, 3:15 PM EDT
In the grand scheme of things this sort of stuff doesn’t matter, but it makes me laugh all the same. Here’s FanHouse’s Tom Krasovic after talking to Padres’ manager Bud Black yesterday:
Bud Black: LF Kyle
Blanks reports only “minimal” improvement in elbow. Surgery hasn’t been
Here’s Dan Hayes from the North County Times after talking to Blanks today:
Padres OF Kyle Blanks
says elbow surgery has been discussed but not yet primary option. Team
is going through process of elimination first.
There’s almost certainly not any obfuscation or misdirection afoot here. This is basically a game of telephone or, at the very most, a difference of opinion as to what “discussed” really means.
But it’s interesting and instructive all the same. After all, if you can get two differing on-the-record reports over something as non-controversial as the health of young player, how badly are the furtive little leaks and whispers of radioactive things like trade rumors getting mangled?
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 23
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 78
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)