Jun 30, 2010, 3:15 PM EST
In the grand scheme of things this sort of stuff doesn’t matter, but it makes me laugh all the same. Here’s FanHouse’s Tom Krasovic after talking to Padres’ manager Bud Black yesterday:
Bud Black: LF Kyle
Blanks reports only “minimal” improvement in elbow. Surgery hasn’t been
Here’s Dan Hayes from the North County Times after talking to Blanks today:
Padres OF Kyle Blanks
says elbow surgery has been discussed but not yet primary option. Team
is going through process of elimination first.
There’s almost certainly not any obfuscation or misdirection afoot here. This is basically a game of telephone or, at the very most, a difference of opinion as to what “discussed” really means.
But it’s interesting and instructive all the same. After all, if you can get two differing on-the-record reports over something as non-controversial as the health of young player, how badly are the furtive little leaks and whispers of radioactive things like trade rumors getting mangled?
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 15
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 36
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 43
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 27
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)