Jun 30, 2010, 5:14 PM EDT
After dropping the first game of the midweek series, the Minnesota Twins reminded the Detroit Tigers why they are the team everyone picked to win the division this season, winning 5-1.
Even with Joe Mauer taking the day off, the Twins brought plenty of firepower to bear, with Justin Morneau hitting a solo homer and an RBI double. Some of the other guys chipped in too, getting all bunty and small-bally in the fifth. See: they were so confident that they freely gave up outs just to show the Tigers how awesome they were! Kevin Slowey gave up one run on four hits in six innings. He had to leave early, though, after being smacked in the ankle with a comebacker.
The Twins now sit one and a half games in front on the Central. It’s probably worth noting that they are the only team in the division with a positive run differential as well (+52 to the Tigers’ -4).
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 22
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 34
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 30
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 39
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)