Quote of the Day: Lenny Dykstra on steroids

Jun 30, 2010, 9:09 AM EST

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

“You gotta understand, there were only 28 people who had my job in
the whole world. And thousands of people
wanted those jobs, and every year, there were guys trying to take my
job. So I needed to do anything I could to protect my job, take care of
my family. Do you have any idea how much money was at stake? Do you?'”

Lenny Dykstra, speaking in 2008 about his decision to use steroids throughout his career.

I don’t quote this for approval, by the way. I quote it merely to illustrate that fear — irrational or otherwise — not mustache-twirling evil is what motivated most steroids users.  Maybe that doesn’t matter much given that (a) he still broke the rules; and (b) his fear and use may have prevented a clean player from taking his job like he otherwise might have, but I just feel the need to defend even s—heels like Dykstra from the “PED-users-are-monsters” brigade.  I mean, really, there are already so many other reasons to call Dykstra a monster, why should be focus on PEDs?

This quote comes out in the publicity surrounding the new book by Lenny Dykstra, by the way.  The book has surprisingly gotten publicity over its Dykstra/steroids revelations. Which is odd considering that Dykstra was named in the Mitchell Report.

1. minnesconsin_ad - Jun 30, 2010 at 9:44 AM

not a monster, just a selfish oaf with no perspective. his view clearly places the money ahead of the integrity of the game of baseball, simple enough.

2. YX - Jun 30, 2010 at 10:34 AM

If I get paid millions I’d probably place $ ahead of integrity of the game of baseball.
    Though I’m poor and I could really use that money…

3. Jonny5 - Jun 30, 2010 at 10:37 AM

So he comes out and said it was all about the money. His fear of not making enough millions (he made like 25 million btw) is not a good excuse, or even close to a good excuse. As a matter of fact the term “money is the root of evil” says it WAS mustache twirling evil that caused Dykstra to use roids. “F” Lenny Dykstra, and “F” any excuses over being overpriviledged and fearing you may have to sell one of your mansions because you might not pull as much loot. Seriously though…..

4. Old Gator - Jun 30, 2010 at 10:42 AM

The point is moot, considering that he blew it all anyway. And is that a finger he’s chewing there?

5. Jonny5 - Jun 30, 2010 at 10:52 AM

Ahh, the point is still the same, he just proved he didn’t deserve a dime of it anyway. And it’s either a batting glove or a baby skunk in his mouth…..

6. Dikta's Lost Perm - Jun 30, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Bernie Madoff had a fear of not making money too. And BP feared missing deadlines and losing money if they adhered to required safety precautions. So they should be given some slack, too. This is America…anything is fair as long as it makes you money.
    Sadly, some people will agree with this turd and think it was OK to cheat the game and any clean players in his ongoing pursuit of the almighty dollar.

7. trampslikeus - Jun 30, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Have to agree with this. And the root of all evil is the LOVE of money, not money itself. Big difference.

8. Jack Marshall - Jun 30, 2010 at 12:48 PM

Evil’s kind of a straw man, don’t you think, Craig? Who used steroids just to hurt the game? I’m guessing nobody. People cheat for personal gain. Baseball players cheated for the same reason, and just didn’t care about the impact on the game enough to outweigh the greed. If they could have cheated, made all the money, and still made sure they DIDN’T hurt the game, I’m sure most of them would have chosen that option. Not Dykstra, of course, who can’t hold a thought that complex, but it isn’t evil to be an idiot.

9. Boo Hoo Florio picked on your team - GET OVER IT - Jun 30, 2010 at 11:40 PM

It’s very likely Lenny was trying to hide his chew in bubble gum. There were a few ballplayers trying to “cover up” their spitting image, so to speak.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester