Jun 30, 2010, 9:09 AM EDT
“You gotta understand, there were only 28 people who had my job in
the whole world. And thousands of people
wanted those jobs, and every year, there were guys trying to take my
job. So I needed to do anything I could to protect my job, take care of
my family. Do you have any idea how much money was at stake? Do you?'”
– Lenny Dykstra, speaking in 2008 about his decision to use steroids throughout his career.
I don’t quote this for approval, by the way. I quote it merely to illustrate that fear — irrational or otherwise — not mustache-twirling evil is what motivated most steroids users. Maybe that doesn’t matter much given that (a) he still broke the rules; and (b) his fear and use may have prevented a clean player from taking his job like he otherwise might have, but I just feel the need to defend even s—heels like Dykstra from the “PED-users-are-monsters” brigade. I mean, really, there are already so many other reasons to call Dykstra a monster, why should be focus on PEDs?
This quote comes out in the publicity surrounding the new book by Lenny Dykstra, by the way. The book has surprisingly gotten publicity over its Dykstra/steroids revelations. Which is odd considering that Dykstra was named in the Mitchell Report.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)