Jun 30, 2010, 10:08 PM EST
10:08 PM: Scott Boeck of USA Today reports that the deal is done, and the Giants will receiver reliever Chris Ray and a player to be named later for the veteran Molina. Let the Buster Posey era begin.
9:12 PM: Now Morosi says that the Giants will not be getting either Davis or Saltalamacchia in the deal. So, uh, scratch that thought.
8:33 PM: Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that the Giants and Rangers are working toward a deal that would land veteran catcher Bengie Molina in Texas. According to Morosi’s source, the trade could be finalized within the next 24 hours.
Molina is off to a disappointing start this season in San Francisco with a .257/.312/.332 batting line, three home runs and 17 RBI over 202 at-bats. His power would be better showcased in the Rangers’ cozy ballpark and moving him would allow the Giants to free up playing time for impressive youngster Buster Posey.
Morosi has been given no indication as to who the Giants might be targeting from Texas, but first basemen Chris Davis and Jarrod Saltalamacchia have been mentioned as possible trade pieces and either would make sense.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (125)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)