Jun 30, 2010, 10:08 PM EDT
10:08 PM: Scott Boeck of USA Today reports that the deal is done, and the Giants will receiver reliever Chris Ray and a player to be named later for the veteran Molina. Let the Buster Posey era begin.
9:12 PM: Now Morosi says that the Giants will not be getting either Davis or Saltalamacchia in the deal. So, uh, scratch that thought.
8:33 PM: Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that the Giants and Rangers are working toward a deal that would land veteran catcher Bengie Molina in Texas. According to Morosi’s source, the trade could be finalized within the next 24 hours.
Molina is off to a disappointing start this season in San Francisco with a .257/.312/.332 batting line, three home runs and 17 RBI over 202 at-bats. His power would be better showcased in the Rangers’ cozy ballpark and moving him would allow the Giants to free up playing time for impressive youngster Buster Posey.
Morosi has been given no indication as to who the Giants might be targeting from Texas, but first basemen Chris Davis and Jarrod Saltalamacchia have been mentioned as possible trade pieces and either would make sense.
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 4
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 51
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (81)