Jun 30, 2010, 10:08 PM EDT
10:08 PM: Scott Boeck of USA Today reports that the deal is done, and the Giants will receiver reliever Chris Ray and a player to be named later for the veteran Molina. Let the Buster Posey era begin.
9:12 PM: Now Morosi says that the Giants will not be getting either Davis or Saltalamacchia in the deal. So, uh, scratch that thought.
8:33 PM: Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that the Giants and Rangers are working toward a deal that would land veteran catcher Bengie Molina in Texas. According to Morosi’s source, the trade could be finalized within the next 24 hours.
Molina is off to a disappointing start this season in San Francisco with a .257/.312/.332 batting line, three home runs and 17 RBI over 202 at-bats. His power would be better showcased in the Rangers’ cozy ballpark and moving him would allow the Giants to free up playing time for impressive youngster Buster Posey.
Morosi has been given no indication as to who the Giants might be targeting from Texas, but first basemen Chris Davis and Jarrod Saltalamacchia have been mentioned as possible trade pieces and either would make sense.
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 0
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 22
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 23
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)