Jun 30, 2010, 10:08 PM EDT
10:08 PM: Scott Boeck of USA Today reports that the deal is done, and the Giants will receiver reliever Chris Ray and a player to be named later for the veteran Molina. Let the Buster Posey era begin.
9:12 PM: Now Morosi says that the Giants will not be getting either Davis or Saltalamacchia in the deal. So, uh, scratch that thought.
8:33 PM: Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that the Giants and Rangers are working toward a deal that would land veteran catcher Bengie Molina in Texas. According to Morosi’s source, the trade could be finalized within the next 24 hours.
Molina is off to a disappointing start this season in San Francisco with a .257/.312/.332 batting line, three home runs and 17 RBI over 202 at-bats. His power would be better showcased in the Rangers’ cozy ballpark and moving him would allow the Giants to free up playing time for impressive youngster Buster Posey.
Morosi has been given no indication as to who the Giants might be targeting from Texas, but first basemen Chris Davis and Jarrod Saltalamacchia have been mentioned as possible trade pieces and either would make sense.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 13
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 22
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 43
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 63
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 76
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 92
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)