Jun 30, 2010, 8:20 AM EDT
San Diego Padres team doctors — as well as team doctors for the San Diego Chargers — are under investigation by the Drug Enforcement Agency over the “correctness” of how they regulate prescription
drugs, reports the San Diego Union-Tribune. As part of this investigation, the DEA served 10 warrants on various team offices and facilities yesterday, including Padres’ HQ.
What, exactly, they’re investigating is rather murky. What we do know is that a Chargers’ player — Kevin Ellison — was stopped for a traffic violation a few weeks ago and 100 Vicodins were found in his car, and generally speaking, people don’t have 100 Vicodins with them at a time.
A lot of football and baseball teams which share a city share at least some part of their medical staffs too, so it’s possible that the search of Padres facilities is related to football stuff. Of course, since the Chargers are in the NFL and, based on everything I’ve read in the past seven or eight years, the NFL has no drug problems whatsoever, it’s probably another baseball plot designed to ruin America’s hopes and dreams.
All we really know at this point is that we don’t know anything.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (104)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)