Jun 30, 2010, 8:20 AM EDT
San Diego Padres team doctors — as well as team doctors for the San Diego Chargers — are under investigation by the Drug Enforcement Agency over the “correctness” of how they regulate prescription
drugs, reports the San Diego Union-Tribune. As part of this investigation, the DEA served 10 warrants on various team offices and facilities yesterday, including Padres’ HQ.
What, exactly, they’re investigating is rather murky. What we do know is that a Chargers’ player — Kevin Ellison — was stopped for a traffic violation a few weeks ago and 100 Vicodins were found in his car, and generally speaking, people don’t have 100 Vicodins with them at a time.
A lot of football and baseball teams which share a city share at least some part of their medical staffs too, so it’s possible that the search of Padres facilities is related to football stuff. Of course, since the Chargers are in the NFL and, based on everything I’ve read in the past seven or eight years, the NFL has no drug problems whatsoever, it’s probably another baseball plot designed to ruin America’s hopes and dreams.
All we really know at this point is that we don’t know anything.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)