Jun 30, 2010, 11:16 AM EDT
Joel Sherman on the chances of Cliff Lee going to the Mets:
Thus, if the Mets want Lee — and, boy, do they ever — a trade will have
to be built around Jenrry Mejia, whom Seattle likes, but does not love,
or Wilmer Flores, an 18-year-old infielder already thriving at High-A. In conversations with Mariner officials, I strongly sensed they would
accept no less than one blue-chip prospect or they will not do this
That throws water on the “F-Mart + Josh Thole will get it done” chatter I’ve seen from Mets fans around the interwebs.
Of course it’s worth noting that (a) I’ve only seen that chatter from the type of people who spend half the summer making up impossible trade scenarios that benefit their team; and (b) even though this post has to do with basketball, it’s worth keeping in mind every time you read trade rumor mongering like Sherman’s.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 9
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 139
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39