Jun 30, 2010, 12:15 PM EDT
I’m not sure what’s more entertaining: the fact that the Phillie Phanatic gets sued all the time or the fact that the plaintiff’s lawyer in this latest case — arising out of the Phanatic’s antics at a minor league game at Reading — seems to be doing a pretty good job of humanizing, er, Phanaticising the defendant:
Even the woman’s attorney, John Speicher, of Wyomissing, said that
people around him have said that “this is like suing Santa Claus.”
“I’m expecting him to come to a deposition, stick his stomach and his
tongue out at me and not say anything,” Speicher said . . .
. . . Speicher agreed that the Phanatic is more “engaging and interactive”
than the mascots typically seen at Reading Phillies games. “Their mascot is Screwball, and it’s like he’s on Valium,” Speicher
said. “They say Screwball has the energy of Perry Como.”
He also sued in Philly rather than in Reading, where the alleged incident occurred. Which while not totally silly — city juries may be more plaintiff-friendly than smaller town juries — is a bit counter-intuitive, because you don’t want to let your defendant have home field advantage.
Sue in Reading and the Phanatic will be on his ATV, going back and forth to court appearance, all the time.
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 28
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 72
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 64
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)