Jun 30, 2010, 12:15 PM EDT
I’m not sure what’s more entertaining: the fact that the Phillie Phanatic gets sued all the time or the fact that the plaintiff’s lawyer in this latest case — arising out of the Phanatic’s antics at a minor league game at Reading — seems to be doing a pretty good job of humanizing, er, Phanaticising the defendant:
Even the woman’s attorney, John Speicher, of Wyomissing, said that
people around him have said that “this is like suing Santa Claus.”
“I’m expecting him to come to a deposition, stick his stomach and his
tongue out at me and not say anything,” Speicher said . . .
. . . Speicher agreed that the Phanatic is more “engaging and interactive”
than the mascots typically seen at Reading Phillies games. “Their mascot is Screwball, and it’s like he’s on Valium,” Speicher
said. “They say Screwball has the energy of Perry Como.”
He also sued in Philly rather than in Reading, where the alleged incident occurred. Which while not totally silly — city juries may be more plaintiff-friendly than smaller town juries — is a bit counter-intuitive, because you don’t want to let your defendant have home field advantage.
Sue in Reading and the Phanatic will be on his ATV, going back and forth to court appearance, all the time.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 14
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 40
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)