Jun 30, 2010, 1:12 PM EDT
I don’t know why Bobby Valentine and the Marlins went sideways. As I said yesterday, I’m still rather surprised we haven’t yet seen a behind-the-scenes report from one of the usual insidery writers like Heyman or Rosenthal or whoever about what happened over the past week. In the absence of that we’re stuck with guesses and — oh yes — gossip.
I don’t even have any first hand gossip on it (which itself is kind on an oxymoron) but there’s a blog down in Miami called City of Champions that claims to have sources who know what went down with Bobby V. and the Feesh. The whole post is here. The three main reasons cited:
- Bobby V. asked the Marlins to commit to increased payroll. They balked, and even wouldn’t rule out keeping Hanley Ramirez for the long term;
- Bobby V. asked for a lot of money for himself, more so than Jeff Loria even thought he might; and
- Finally — and this is the most interesting — the Marlins are “infatuated” with Ozzie Guillen and, according to CoC’s sources, “there is no chance he’s returning [to the White Sox] next season” so the Marlins may be carrying a torch for the guy.
Again: I just met the City of Champions blog, so I can’t vouch for any of that. All I can say is that at least the first two bullet points seem plausible, and the third, while maybe not quite as plausible — how can the Sox fire Guillen if the Sox remain respectable this year? — is not totally insane. The most I can say is that City of Champions has passed along other Marlins rumors in the past and, based on their self-reported track record, they’ve hit for a pretty decent average.
Maybe none of this is true, but I really don’t see any reason why, in a world in which we all pass along every Heyman, Olney and Rosenthal blind item, we can’t pass this one along as well.
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 9
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 29
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 17
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)