Jul 1, 2010, 4:17 PM EDT
I don’t think the full article is up yet (UPDATE: Yes it is. I missed it. It’s Insider only, however), but Buster Olney writes today that ESPN.com is going to run the results of a baseball general manager survey in which the GMs rate one another on things like who’s the easiest to work with, who’s the toughest negotiator, etc. I’m loking forward to reading it.
But Buster does give us a delicious preview of the results, and it matches a gut feeling I’ve had for a long time:
Without a doubt, however, the GM who got hammered in a way I never
expected was the Giants’ Brian Sabean, for one simple reason — rival
executives say they cannot get him on the phone. They cannot get him to
return messages. In a couple of cases, some GMs say they don’t even
bother calling Sabean, they just go straight to assistant Bobby Evans.
feeling of the other GMs is that beyond the issue of simple etiquette
— “It’s just flat-out disrespectful to not return a call,” said one GM
— Sabean isn’t putting himself in position to hear trade ideas that
could benefit the Giants. “What happens if somebody calls to offer Brock for Boglio?” said one GM. “That’s what I get nervous about — what
if the other team is shopping a really good player and he gets traded
without me getting involved? That’s why I return all calls.”
People can’t really change what they are, and what we are comes out no matter how hard we try to hide it. In addition to hurting his own team, not returning calls is jerk behavior, and Sabean has shown himself to be a jerk before (read the part about former trainer Stan Conte’s disagrements with Sabean and tell me that Sabean isn’t a jerk of a boss).
Always fun to read some good Sabean slamming.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 68
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 44
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)