Jul 1, 2010, 8:22 AM EDT
Bobby Valentine on ESPN’s “Baseball Tonight” yesterday, talking about the Marlins’ hiring process:
“If this is a major-league process, I hope I’m never in the process
again. It’s very
disturbing, confusing and it was insulting at times, but it’s over.”
The linked articles goes a bit more into the details of why he and the Marlins couldn’t come to a meeting of the minds, suggesting that Valentine’s desire to have say in personnel decisions was in conflict with the baseball operations people’s preferences for a less-demanding manager.
This explanation makes sense and feeds into what, to me at least, seemed like an internal clash on the Marlins’ part between Jeff Loria on the one hand, who clearly wanted his friend and big media wheel Valentine, and team president David Samson and GM Larry Beinfest on the other hand who — no matter what you say about the Feesh — run a pretty tight and competent ship on their side of the equation and probably prefer more of a company man in the dugout.
After all of this, one wonders if the Samson-Beinfest team even wanted to fire Fredi Gonzalez in the first place.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 85
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 68
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 70
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 73
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)