Jul 1, 2010, 8:22 AM EDT
Bobby Valentine on ESPN’s “Baseball Tonight” yesterday, talking about the Marlins’ hiring process:
“If this is a major-league process, I hope I’m never in the process
again. It’s very
disturbing, confusing and it was insulting at times, but it’s over.”
The linked articles goes a bit more into the details of why he and the Marlins couldn’t come to a meeting of the minds, suggesting that Valentine’s desire to have say in personnel decisions was in conflict with the baseball operations people’s preferences for a less-demanding manager.
This explanation makes sense and feeds into what, to me at least, seemed like an internal clash on the Marlins’ part between Jeff Loria on the one hand, who clearly wanted his friend and big media wheel Valentine, and team president David Samson and GM Larry Beinfest on the other hand who — no matter what you say about the Feesh — run a pretty tight and competent ship on their side of the equation and probably prefer more of a company man in the dugout.
After all of this, one wonders if the Samson-Beinfest team even wanted to fire Fredi Gonzalez in the first place.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 17
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)