Jul 1, 2010, 8:22 AM EST
Bobby Valentine on ESPN’s “Baseball Tonight” yesterday, talking about the Marlins’ hiring process:
“If this is a major-league process, I hope I’m never in the process
again. It’s very
disturbing, confusing and it was insulting at times, but it’s over.”
The linked articles goes a bit more into the details of why he and the Marlins couldn’t come to a meeting of the minds, suggesting that Valentine’s desire to have say in personnel decisions was in conflict with the baseball operations people’s preferences for a less-demanding manager.
This explanation makes sense and feeds into what, to me at least, seemed like an internal clash on the Marlins’ part between Jeff Loria on the one hand, who clearly wanted his friend and big media wheel Valentine, and team president David Samson and GM Larry Beinfest on the other hand who — no matter what you say about the Feesh — run a pretty tight and competent ship on their side of the equation and probably prefer more of a company man in the dugout.
After all of this, one wonders if the Samson-Beinfest team even wanted to fire Fredi Gonzalez in the first place.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 76
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)