Jul 1, 2010, 8:22 AM EDT
Bobby Valentine on ESPN’s “Baseball Tonight” yesterday, talking about the Marlins’ hiring process:
“If this is a major-league process, I hope I’m never in the process
again. It’s very
disturbing, confusing and it was insulting at times, but it’s over.”
The linked articles goes a bit more into the details of why he and the Marlins couldn’t come to a meeting of the minds, suggesting that Valentine’s desire to have say in personnel decisions was in conflict with the baseball operations people’s preferences for a less-demanding manager.
This explanation makes sense and feeds into what, to me at least, seemed like an internal clash on the Marlins’ part between Jeff Loria on the one hand, who clearly wanted his friend and big media wheel Valentine, and team president David Samson and GM Larry Beinfest on the other hand who — no matter what you say about the Feesh — run a pretty tight and competent ship on their side of the equation and probably prefer more of a company man in the dugout.
After all of this, one wonders if the Samson-Beinfest team even wanted to fire Fredi Gonzalez in the first place.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 54
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 65
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 80
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)