Jul 1, 2010, 1:46 PM EDT
Traded from the Yankees to the Braves this offseason in the Javier Vazquez-for-Melky Cabrera swap, 19-year-old pitching prospect Arodys Vizcaino has been placed on the Single-A disabled list after being diagnosed with a partially torn elbow ligament.
He’s expected to miss six weeks, which is a tough break given how well Vizcaino was pitching with a 9-3 record, 2.71 ERA, and 77/12 K/BB ratio in 83 innings split between two levels of Single-A.
The good news is that he’ll avoid surgery for now, meaning Vizcaino could potentially return in August and perhaps make up for the lost development time in the Arizona Fall League or winter ball.
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 2
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 13
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 24
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 43
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)