Jul 1, 2010, 1:46 PM EST
Traded from the Yankees to the Braves this offseason in the Javier Vazquez-for-Melky Cabrera swap, 19-year-old pitching prospect Arodys Vizcaino has been placed on the Single-A disabled list after being diagnosed with a partially torn elbow ligament.
He’s expected to miss six weeks, which is a tough break given how well Vizcaino was pitching with a 9-3 record, 2.71 ERA, and 77/12 K/BB ratio in 83 innings split between two levels of Single-A.
The good news is that he’ll avoid surgery for now, meaning Vizcaino could potentially return in August and perhaps make up for the lost development time in the Arizona Fall League or winter ball.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 14
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 28
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)