Jul 1, 2010, 3:12 PM EST
Phillies’ skipper Charlie Manuel argued balls and strikes with world’s worst umpire C.B. Bucknor on Tuesday night, his hat apparently brushed Bucknor’s head and now Manuel has been suspended for one game for “aggressive
arguing and inappropriate contact.”
Whatever. C.B. Bucknor couldn’t call a strike on the strikingest day of his life with an electrified strike machine, so he deserved Manuel getting all up in his business. The only thing I can’t figure out is how Bucknor even saw Cholly’s cap hit his head.
For his part, Manuel has issued a statement about the incident:*
Boy howdy, I’m not one to get sore, but when this wise guy tried to give me the high hat I was seein’ red. So’s I start in, see, and he comes back with his “ya betta watchyaself, Cholly” rebob, and that’s when I flipped my lid. The last person who told me to watch myself was my ‘ma, and last I peeped, this eephus wasn’t sweet and wonderful like she was, so I called applesauce on the palooka’s jive, ya follow?
Lord love a duck, but if givin’ C.B. Bucknor the business is wrong I don’t wanna be right. As for the suspension, I’ll dangle for a game in Pittsburgh just swell. Yinzers is my kind of people anyways. Give me some free time there any day of the week and twice on Sunday, and I can do things up just jake, see?
That’s all I got boys, the train’s leaving.
*This statement was relayed psychically, only to me, via the little voice in Charlie Manuel’s head that says the things I like to imagine him saying.
- Major League Baseball to investigate Randy Levine for tampering as a result of Mike Trout comment 6
- Robinson Cano, Yankees trade barbs about “disrespect” 83
- Recapping the Winter Meetings and looking ahead to the rest of the offseason 17
- Could baseball return to Montreal? 60
- Report: Rockies nearing a multi-year deal with Boone Logan 6
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (135)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)