Jul 1, 2010, 11:20 PM EDT
11:20 PM: This just keeps getting better. According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, bench coach and World Series legend Kirk Gibson will take over as skipper.
11:01 PM: Nightengale adds that general manager Josh Byrnes has also been let go. He was hired in 2005 and given an eight-year extension in 2008. But, uh, so much for that.
10:47 PM: According to Bob Nightengale of USA Today, the Diamondbacks have fired manager A.J. Hinch.
Hinch was named Arizona’s skipper in May of 2009, at the age of 34, after Bob Melvin was fired. At the time, many questioned whether he was the right man for the job, given his lack of experience in the coaching profession. Those doubters can crack a small grin tonight.
Managers often have very little to do with the outcome of games, let alone seasons, but it’s most definitely worth noting that Hinch led the D’Backs to an 89-123 record during his short tenure in Arizona.
General manager Josh Byrnes is also believed to be on the hot seat, but has not yet been canned.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 21
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 142
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)