Jul 1, 2010, 11:20 PM EDT
11:20 PM: This just keeps getting better. According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, bench coach and World Series legend Kirk Gibson will take over as skipper.
11:01 PM: Nightengale adds that general manager Josh Byrnes has also been let go. He was hired in 2005 and given an eight-year extension in 2008. But, uh, so much for that.
10:47 PM: According to Bob Nightengale of USA Today, the Diamondbacks have fired manager A.J. Hinch.
Hinch was named Arizona’s skipper in May of 2009, at the age of 34, after Bob Melvin was fired. At the time, many questioned whether he was the right man for the job, given his lack of experience in the coaching profession. Those doubters can crack a small grin tonight.
Managers often have very little to do with the outcome of games, let alone seasons, but it’s most definitely worth noting that Hinch led the D’Backs to an 89-123 record during his short tenure in Arizona.
General manager Josh Byrnes is also believed to be on the hot seat, but has not yet been canned.
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 30
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 18
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 59
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)