Jul 1, 2010, 4:44 PM EST
As expected the Orioles placed Luke Scott on the disabled list today after he suffered a hamstring injury rounding the bases on a home run last night, but in a surprise move they replaced him on the roster by calling up Josh Bell rather than activating Felix Pie from the DL.
Bell was acquired from the Dodgers for George Sherrill in the middle of last season and has shown plenty of power at Triple-A with 10 homers and 24 doubles in 74 games, but the 23-year-old switch-hitter also batted just .266 with a sub par .311 on-base percentage and ghastly 75/18 K/BB ratio.
He’s in the lineup tonight, batting seventh and playing third base, with Miguel Tejada shifting to designated hitter after starting 72 of 77 games at the hot corner. Presumably if the Orioles can find a taker for Tejada between now and July 31 they’d love to move him, but with the first sub-.700 OPS of his career the 36-year-old looks just about finished.
Given his poor plate discipline and strike-zone judgment Bell seems likely to struggle in the short term, but he can’t be much worse than Tejada. Pie is now expected to come off the shelf Monday, at which point Tejada may have gone from starting third baseman to part-time DH. Assuming he hasn’t followed Garrett Atkins out the door by then.
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 60
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 22
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)