Jul 1, 2010, 6:20 PM EDT
Sources told FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal that the Padres, Rangers and Rockies recently “sent out feelers to” free agent Jermaine Dye.
It’s doubtful that Dye, who hasn’t played this year after failing to find an offer to his liking over the winter, would immediately step in as a regular for any of the teams. The Padres, though, might have the most playing time to offer, as their outfield situation remains up in the air.
The Rangers and Rockies would likely use Dye against lefties. The Rangers could have a bigger role for him if he proves adept at first base and outproduces rookie Justin Smoak.
That’s all speculation, though. Dye struggled mightily in the second half of last season and hasn’t faced live pitching, at least competitively, since. He’d almost certainly need a few weeks in the minors before he’d be ready to contribute to a major league team, and if he didn’t hit in Triple-A, he might find himself released without ever receiving an opportunity.
The Padres, at least, could use more of a sure thing in their search for offense. They’d be better off looking elsewhere.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 15
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 21
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 6
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 63
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (111)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games