Jul 1, 2010, 6:20 PM EDT
Sources told FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal that the Padres, Rangers and Rockies recently “sent out feelers to” free agent Jermaine Dye.
It’s doubtful that Dye, who hasn’t played this year after failing to find an offer to his liking over the winter, would immediately step in as a regular for any of the teams. The Padres, though, might have the most playing time to offer, as their outfield situation remains up in the air.
The Rangers and Rockies would likely use Dye against lefties. The Rangers could have a bigger role for him if he proves adept at first base and outproduces rookie Justin Smoak.
That’s all speculation, though. Dye struggled mightily in the second half of last season and hasn’t faced live pitching, at least competitively, since. He’d almost certainly need a few weeks in the minors before he’d be ready to contribute to a major league team, and if he didn’t hit in Triple-A, he might find himself released without ever receiving an opportunity.
The Padres, at least, could use more of a sure thing in their search for offense. They’d be better off looking elsewhere.
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 61
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 55
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 67
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)