Jul 1, 2010, 6:20 PM EST
Sources told FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal that the Padres, Rangers and Rockies recently “sent out feelers to” free agent Jermaine Dye.
It’s doubtful that Dye, who hasn’t played this year after failing to find an offer to his liking over the winter, would immediately step in as a regular for any of the teams. The Padres, though, might have the most playing time to offer, as their outfield situation remains up in the air.
The Rangers and Rockies would likely use Dye against lefties. The Rangers could have a bigger role for him if he proves adept at first base and outproduces rookie Justin Smoak.
That’s all speculation, though. Dye struggled mightily in the second half of last season and hasn’t faced live pitching, at least competitively, since. He’d almost certainly need a few weeks in the minors before he’d be ready to contribute to a major league team, and if he didn’t hit in Triple-A, he might find himself released without ever receiving an opportunity.
The Padres, at least, could use more of a sure thing in their search for offense. They’d be better off looking elsewhere.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)