Jul 1, 2010, 6:20 PM EDT
Sources told FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal that the Padres, Rangers and Rockies recently “sent out feelers to” free agent Jermaine Dye.
It’s doubtful that Dye, who hasn’t played this year after failing to find an offer to his liking over the winter, would immediately step in as a regular for any of the teams. The Padres, though, might have the most playing time to offer, as their outfield situation remains up in the air.
The Rangers and Rockies would likely use Dye against lefties. The Rangers could have a bigger role for him if he proves adept at first base and outproduces rookie Justin Smoak.
That’s all speculation, though. Dye struggled mightily in the second half of last season and hasn’t faced live pitching, at least competitively, since. He’d almost certainly need a few weeks in the minors before he’d be ready to contribute to a major league team, and if he didn’t hit in Triple-A, he might find himself released without ever receiving an opportunity.
The Padres, at least, could use more of a sure thing in their search for offense. They’d be better off looking elsewhere.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 54
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)