Peer-reviewing the GMs

Jul 1, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT

Some cool inside dirt on the game's general managers

The Buster Olney story I mentioned earlier today in which he got the inside dirt from general managers about general manager is up. It’s Insider only, however, and will be in the July 12th edition of ESPN the Magazine. Some highlights:

• Easiest GM to make a deal with: Jim Hendry, Cubs. And no, it’s not because he’s a bad GM who is easy to fleece. It’s because he’s a nice guy and people just like him. And because he’s easy to fleece, I’d guess.
  • Toughest: Brian Sabean, for the points mentioned in today’s earlier article. Ned Colletti is an honorable mention because GMs don’t know that he really has any authority when they talk to him.  Probably because he’s being steered by a couple of psycho owners and V-Energy and everything.
  • Great quote about Omar Minaya being a “card player”: “He’ll offer you a $5 bill and ask for two 10s in return.”
  • An intriguing vote of confidence for Theo Epstein: “Theo’s career has been helped by being in Boston, but I think that if
    you had put him in Kansas City five years ago, they’d be pretty good
    right now.”
  • And finally, something I’ve heard said about the Rays’ Andrew Friedman before, though I’m not sure we know enough about what GMs do all day to really say for sure: “He’s the best GM in the game.”

Anyway, it’s a pretty neat article. One of the few that ESPN puts out there that, in my opinion anyway, justifies an Insider subscription.  If they did more stuff like this I’d tell everyone to put their money down for it.

1. Ick McWang - Jul 1, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Friedman is great, but he sure has swung and missed a few times lately, specifically Burrell and Blalock. Although I suppose picking up Joaquin Benoit from the scrap heap makes up for it

2. quint - Jul 1, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Blalock wasn’t really a swing and a miss, it was a chance that didn’t cost much.
    Burrell was a big swing and a miss.
    I think being GM in Boston is harder than being GM in Kansas City. I think Theo would be a better GM in Kansas City because he wouldn’t have to worry about competing every year, just building a great farm system. His biggest misses are FA signings which he wouldn’t have to make in Kansas. Think what he and the team he would have put together would have done to a Kansas City farm system with higher draft picks? (I am assuming he would have put more money into scouting and development and less money into Kendall, Betancourt etc.

3. nfieldr - Jul 1, 2010 at 11:24 PM

Re: espn.com Insider… you get free Insider access if you subscribe to ESPN The Magazine. FWIW, last year, I found an online promotion that offered a FOUR year subscription for $13 and change. Maybe there are still offers like that out there. Just saying…

4. APBA Guy - Jul 2, 2010 at 1:08 AM

Yeah, the promos mean you get Olney and Keith Law. Law and Neyer are both excellent, so they’re the reason to dig hard for the promos. The magazine we discussed on THT, and the consensus there was it’s like a virus you can’t get rid of.

5. nfieldr - Jul 2, 2010 at 1:45 AM

Nine times out of 10, I throw the mag away without ever opening it.

6. RedLeg15 - Jul 3, 2010 at 12:35 AM

I can’t blame PTB on Friedman. Right around the same amount of games, 20 more ABs. .202 with the Rays .333 back in the NL with the Giants. PTB is an NL guy. Who in the Rays OF would you sit? Crawford, Upton, Zobrist/Joyce/S-Rod… for the Rays is a better OF than any containing Burrell.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3346)