Jul 1, 2010, 11:28 PM EST
A source told WBZ-TV’s Dan Roche that Jason Varitek could miss 4-6 weeks with a leg injury that may or may not be a broken foot.
The Red Sox have yet to confirm the injury, but it seems to go along with Boston’s move to reacquire Kevin Cash from the Astros on Thursday.
Varitek has been acting as Boston’s starting catcher with Victor Martinez on the shelf with a broken left thumb. The hope is that Martinez will return immediately after the break. If that’s the case, then this wouldn’t be as big of a blow as some of Boston’s other injuries. Still, the list is getting awfully long:
C Victor Martinez – On DL with broken thumb
C Jason Varitek – Out 4-6 weeks?
2B Dustin Pedroia – Out approx. six weeks with broken foot
2B-SS Jed Lowrie – On DL with Mono
3B-DH Mike Lowell – On DL with hip injury
OF Jacoby Ellsbury – On DL with broken ribs
OF Jeremy Hermida – On DL with broken ribs
RHP Josh Beckett – On DL with back injury
RHP Clay Buchholz – Likely to miss a start with hamstring injury
RHP Manny Delcarmen – Set to land on DL with forearm strain
And that’s not all. The Red Sox are actually without the guys who were their third and fourth catchers coming out of spring training. Dusty Brown (dislocated thumb) and Mark Wagner (hand surgery) are both on the DL at Triple-A Pawtucket.
Varitek, who lost his starting job when Martinez was acquired last season, was enjoying a fine 2010 in a part-time role, hitting .263/.324/.547 with seven homers and 16 RBI in 95 at-bats. Not that he was likely to keep it up, but the Red Sox certainly won’t get that kind of production while using Cash and Gustavo Molina to fill in.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)