Jul 1, 2010, 11:28 PM EDT
A source told WBZ-TV’s Dan Roche that Jason Varitek could miss 4-6 weeks with a leg injury that may or may not be a broken foot.
The Red Sox have yet to confirm the injury, but it seems to go along with Boston’s move to reacquire Kevin Cash from the Astros on Thursday.
Varitek has been acting as Boston’s starting catcher with Victor Martinez on the shelf with a broken left thumb. The hope is that Martinez will return immediately after the break. If that’s the case, then this wouldn’t be as big of a blow as some of Boston’s other injuries. Still, the list is getting awfully long:
C Victor Martinez – On DL with broken thumb
C Jason Varitek – Out 4-6 weeks?
2B Dustin Pedroia – Out approx. six weeks with broken foot
2B-SS Jed Lowrie – On DL with Mono
3B-DH Mike Lowell – On DL with hip injury
OF Jacoby Ellsbury – On DL with broken ribs
OF Jeremy Hermida – On DL with broken ribs
RHP Josh Beckett – On DL with back injury
RHP Clay Buchholz – Likely to miss a start with hamstring injury
RHP Manny Delcarmen – Set to land on DL with forearm strain
And that’s not all. The Red Sox are actually without the guys who were their third and fourth catchers coming out of spring training. Dusty Brown (dislocated thumb) and Mark Wagner (hand surgery) are both on the DL at Triple-A Pawtucket.
Varitek, who lost his starting job when Martinez was acquired last season, was enjoying a fine 2010 in a part-time role, hitting .263/.324/.547 with seven homers and 16 RBI in 95 at-bats. Not that he was likely to keep it up, but the Red Sox certainly won’t get that kind of production while using Cash and Gustavo Molina to fill in.
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 19
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 16
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 6
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 31
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)