Jul 1, 2010, 11:28 PM EDT
A source told WBZ-TV’s Dan Roche that Jason Varitek could miss 4-6 weeks with a leg injury that may or may not be a broken foot.
The Red Sox have yet to confirm the injury, but it seems to go along with Boston’s move to reacquire Kevin Cash from the Astros on Thursday.
Varitek has been acting as Boston’s starting catcher with Victor Martinez on the shelf with a broken left thumb. The hope is that Martinez will return immediately after the break. If that’s the case, then this wouldn’t be as big of a blow as some of Boston’s other injuries. Still, the list is getting awfully long:
C Victor Martinez – On DL with broken thumb
C Jason Varitek – Out 4-6 weeks?
2B Dustin Pedroia – Out approx. six weeks with broken foot
2B-SS Jed Lowrie – On DL with Mono
3B-DH Mike Lowell – On DL with hip injury
OF Jacoby Ellsbury – On DL with broken ribs
OF Jeremy Hermida – On DL with broken ribs
RHP Josh Beckett – On DL with back injury
RHP Clay Buchholz – Likely to miss a start with hamstring injury
RHP Manny Delcarmen – Set to land on DL with forearm strain
And that’s not all. The Red Sox are actually without the guys who were their third and fourth catchers coming out of spring training. Dusty Brown (dislocated thumb) and Mark Wagner (hand surgery) are both on the DL at Triple-A Pawtucket.
Varitek, who lost his starting job when Martinez was acquired last season, was enjoying a fine 2010 in a part-time role, hitting .263/.324/.547 with seven homers and 16 RBI in 95 at-bats. Not that he was likely to keep it up, but the Red Sox certainly won’t get that kind of production while using Cash and Gustavo Molina to fill in.
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 1
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 7
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 60
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 26
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 54
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 42
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 161
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (161)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)