Jul 1, 2010, 11:43 AM EDT
Luke Scott may be headed to the disabled list after injuring his hamstring last night during his home run trot. Scott took Cedrick Bowers deep to left-center field in the seventh inning, but ran hard out of the box before knowing it was gone and pulled up lame after rounding first base.
MLB.com has the video of Scott barely making it to the plate by hopping and limping his way to second base and actually pausing for a moment once he reached third base. Scott said afterward that “it doesn’t look good” and he’ll likely undergo an MRI exam today, guessing that he’s “probably” bound for the DL because “any time you deal with a pulled hamstring it’s going to be at least two weeks.”
Felix Pie is just about ready to return from his own DL stint, so he’d likely take Scott’s roster spot and playing time. Scott’s batting average was below .200 as late as May 9, but he’s hit .328 with eight homers and 12 doubles in 40 games since then to raise his overall AVG/OBP/SLG line to .274/.348/.520, which would be the 32-year-old’s best production since his rookie season.
Signed to a one-year, $4.05 million deal and arbitration eligible again next season, Scott figured to be a potential trade deadline target for contenders in need of a veteran left-handed bat, but any more than a couple weeks on the DL could make it tough for the Orioles to get value for him before July 31.
- The beauty of belief 21
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 35
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 71
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 15
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)