Jul 1, 2010, 11:43 AM EDT
Luke Scott may be headed to the disabled list after injuring his hamstring last night during his home run trot. Scott took Cedrick Bowers deep to left-center field in the seventh inning, but ran hard out of the box before knowing it was gone and pulled up lame after rounding first base.
MLB.com has the video of Scott barely making it to the plate by hopping and limping his way to second base and actually pausing for a moment once he reached third base. Scott said afterward that “it doesn’t look good” and he’ll likely undergo an MRI exam today, guessing that he’s “probably” bound for the DL because “any time you deal with a pulled hamstring it’s going to be at least two weeks.”
Felix Pie is just about ready to return from his own DL stint, so he’d likely take Scott’s roster spot and playing time. Scott’s batting average was below .200 as late as May 9, but he’s hit .328 with eight homers and 12 doubles in 40 games since then to raise his overall AVG/OBP/SLG line to .274/.348/.520, which would be the 32-year-old’s best production since his rookie season.
Signed to a one-year, $4.05 million deal and arbitration eligible again next season, Scott figured to be a potential trade deadline target for contenders in need of a veteran left-handed bat, but any more than a couple weeks on the DL could make it tough for the Orioles to get value for him before July 31.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)