Jul 1, 2010, 10:20 AM EDT
This is sad: in 1999, the Kansas City Royals planted a memorial tree and laid a plaque for the late, great Dan Quisenberry who died of brain cancer the year before. Yeah, about that:
The tree and plaque are now gone. This after workers began work on
building ramp off Interstate 70 to improve access to Kauffman Stadium . . . state transportation
officials say it was an unfortunate mistake. Crews are clearing the area
of trees in preparation for the road work.
I can see maybe not knowing the significance of an 11 year-old tree, but how do you miss the plaque? Unless, of course, MODOT or whoever was responsible for upkeep let it get grown over or something, which would just square the sadness of this whole affair.
In other news, Dan Quisenberry should be in the frickin’ Hall of Fame and the fact that he isn’t is a frickin’ travesty. Yes, there is emotion involved with this as I watched him, was impressed by him and tried like mad to imitate him when I was but a lad, but I think he has a pretty decent case on the merits as well.
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 1
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 78
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 10
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)