Jul 1, 2010, 10:20 AM EDT
This is sad: in 1999, the Kansas City Royals planted a memorial tree and laid a plaque for the late, great Dan Quisenberry who died of brain cancer the year before. Yeah, about that:
The tree and plaque are now gone. This after workers began work on
building ramp off Interstate 70 to improve access to Kauffman Stadium . . . state transportation
officials say it was an unfortunate mistake. Crews are clearing the area
of trees in preparation for the road work.
I can see maybe not knowing the significance of an 11 year-old tree, but how do you miss the plaque? Unless, of course, MODOT or whoever was responsible for upkeep let it get grown over or something, which would just square the sadness of this whole affair.
In other news, Dan Quisenberry should be in the frickin’ Hall of Fame and the fact that he isn’t is a frickin’ travesty. Yes, there is emotion involved with this as I watched him, was impressed by him and tried like mad to imitate him when I was but a lad, but I think he has a pretty decent case on the merits as well.
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 1
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 34
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 176
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (180)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)