Jul 1, 2010, 10:20 AM EDT
This is sad: in 1999, the Kansas City Royals planted a memorial tree and laid a plaque for the late, great Dan Quisenberry who died of brain cancer the year before. Yeah, about that:
The tree and plaque are now gone. This after workers began work on
building ramp off Interstate 70 to improve access to Kauffman Stadium . . . state transportation
officials say it was an unfortunate mistake. Crews are clearing the area
of trees in preparation for the road work.
I can see maybe not knowing the significance of an 11 year-old tree, but how do you miss the plaque? Unless, of course, MODOT or whoever was responsible for upkeep let it get grown over or something, which would just square the sadness of this whole affair.
In other news, Dan Quisenberry should be in the frickin’ Hall of Fame and the fact that he isn’t is a frickin’ travesty. Yes, there is emotion involved with this as I watched him, was impressed by him and tried like mad to imitate him when I was but a lad, but I think he has a pretty decent case on the merits as well.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 8
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 22
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 34
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)