Jul 1, 2010, 10:20 AM EST
This is sad: in 1999, the Kansas City Royals planted a memorial tree and laid a plaque for the late, great Dan Quisenberry who died of brain cancer the year before. Yeah, about that:
The tree and plaque are now gone. This after workers began work on
building ramp off Interstate 70 to improve access to Kauffman Stadium . . . state transportation
officials say it was an unfortunate mistake. Crews are clearing the area
of trees in preparation for the road work.
I can see maybe not knowing the significance of an 11 year-old tree, but how do you miss the plaque? Unless, of course, MODOT or whoever was responsible for upkeep let it get grown over or something, which would just square the sadness of this whole affair.
In other news, Dan Quisenberry should be in the frickin’ Hall of Fame and the fact that he isn’t is a frickin’ travesty. Yes, there is emotion involved with this as I watched him, was impressed by him and tried like mad to imitate him when I was but a lad, but I think he has a pretty decent case on the merits as well.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 10
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 71
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 140
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (140)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)