Jul 1, 2010, 10:20 AM EDT
This is sad: in 1999, the Kansas City Royals planted a memorial tree and laid a plaque for the late, great Dan Quisenberry who died of brain cancer the year before. Yeah, about that:
The tree and plaque are now gone. This after workers began work on
building ramp off Interstate 70 to improve access to Kauffman Stadium . . . state transportation
officials say it was an unfortunate mistake. Crews are clearing the area
of trees in preparation for the road work.
I can see maybe not knowing the significance of an 11 year-old tree, but how do you miss the plaque? Unless, of course, MODOT or whoever was responsible for upkeep let it get grown over or something, which would just square the sadness of this whole affair.
In other news, Dan Quisenberry should be in the frickin’ Hall of Fame and the fact that he isn’t is a frickin’ travesty. Yes, there is emotion involved with this as I watched him, was impressed by him and tried like mad to imitate him when I was but a lad, but I think he has a pretty decent case on the merits as well.
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 2
- Alex Cobb confirmed to have elbow ligament tear 11
- Royals expected to get closer Greg Holland back tomorrow 2
- Madison Bumgarner threw his fastest pitch since 2010 9
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 7
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 27
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 18
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs (96)