Jul 1, 2010, 10:47 AM EDT
MLB.com’s Bill Ladson reports that the Nats, despite the fact that they’re sinking like a stone in the NL East, have inquired about the Arizona Diamondbacks’ Dan Haren and Edwin Jackson. A lot of time in the article is spent wondering if this means the Nats are buyers or sellers (in light of the Adam Dunn rumors) and asking just what the hell are they’re doing. So what are they doing?
Seems to me that being interested in either Jackson or Haren isn’t a matter of buying or selling as we usually discuss it in the “what does it mean for the current season” sense of the term. Just seems like a way to build for the future. Haren is signed through 2012 with a club option for 2013. Jackson is signed through the end of 2011. In short, picking up either of these guys would be a play for 2011 and possibly beyond, not a play for some quixotic stab at getting back in the wild card race.
Sure, getting either of these guys would be an expensive way to build, but the Nats efforts to make such a move in the offseason (see, Marquis, Jason) didn’t work out so well, so why not treat this summer as a defacto free agent season, give the Dbacks the salary relief they want and maybe a prospect or two, and acquire a respectable arm to accompany Mr. Strasburg for the next couple of seasons?
If the team is willing to spend some money now — and it seems that they are — making such a move now seems a better bet than getting involved in the great musical chairs game they always seem to lose during the hot stove season.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (185)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)