Jul 1, 2010, 10:47 AM EDT
MLB.com’s Bill Ladson reports that the Nats, despite the fact that they’re sinking like a stone in the NL East, have inquired about the Arizona Diamondbacks’ Dan Haren and Edwin Jackson. A lot of time in the article is spent wondering if this means the Nats are buyers or sellers (in light of the Adam Dunn rumors) and asking just what the hell are they’re doing. So what are they doing?
Seems to me that being interested in either Jackson or Haren isn’t a matter of buying or selling as we usually discuss it in the “what does it mean for the current season” sense of the term. Just seems like a way to build for the future. Haren is signed through 2012 with a club option for 2013. Jackson is signed through the end of 2011. In short, picking up either of these guys would be a play for 2011 and possibly beyond, not a play for some quixotic stab at getting back in the wild card race.
Sure, getting either of these guys would be an expensive way to build, but the Nats efforts to make such a move in the offseason (see, Marquis, Jason) didn’t work out so well, so why not treat this summer as a defacto free agent season, give the Dbacks the salary relief they want and maybe a prospect or two, and acquire a respectable arm to accompany Mr. Strasburg for the next couple of seasons?
If the team is willing to spend some money now — and it seems that they are — making such a move now seems a better bet than getting involved in the great musical chairs game they always seem to lose during the hot stove season.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 45
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)