And That Happened: Thursday's Scores and Highlights

Jul 2, 2010, 6:13 AM EDT

Canada Day and the Blue Jays played a road game and Jason Bay was benched. I spit in your poutine, Major League Baseball.

Indians 6, Blue Jays 1: This game freaked me out in that the score went final before 2:30 yesterday afternoon.  There’s almost something unnatural about a game being over that early in the day. I’d love to live on the west coast, but having baseball be over before noon out there would totally wig me out.  Anyway: I’m going to resist the urge to use the word “masterful” to describe Justin Masterson’s start because I bet he’s got that since he was in little league. Oh, wait, I did it anyway, didn’t I? 8.1 IP, 8 H, 1 ER.  And Matt LaPorta homered for his third straight game, which just goes to show you that some quality time in Columbus, Ohio is good for the body and soul.

Angels 2, Rangers 1: Jered Weaver pitches two-hit, shutout ball over
seven to give the Angels a series win over the Rangers. It’s the
Rangers’ first series loss in nearly a month.

Yankees 4, Mariners 2: A-Rod hit a tiebreaking, two-run homer in the
eighth inning. Remember back when he wasn’t clutch? Nah, me neither.

Reds 3, Cubs 2: The AP game story goes several paragraphs talking about
Dusty Baker’s history in Chicago rather than talk about the actual game.
Annoying, but worth it for this line from Dusty: “I was here four out
of the 100 years. Most people act like I
was here the whole hundred.” As for the game, Travis Wood makes his
major league debut for Cincy and it was a good one: 7 IP, 2 H, 2 ER.
The scoring ended on a fielder’s choice in the 10th and that’s kind of
boring so maybe it’s OK that the game story guy spent so much time
talking about Baker and Chicago.

Astros 6, Padres 3: Luke Gregerson couldn’t find the zone in the tenth inning, walking two guys with two outs and then allowing a triple to Michael Bourn. The Astros have won six of nine games.

Rockies 7, Giants 3: The good news: the Giants actually scored more than two runs for the first time since last Friday. The bad news: they still lost, which makes it six in a row. And memo to the AP writer who put the game recap together: you are fined $10 for using the term “danced” to describe Aaron Cook’s sinkerball. If you’d read your style book you’d see that it clearly states that only knuckleballs “dance.”  Please make a note of it in the future.

Rays 5, Twins 4: A day after quoting that “the Twins are 38-0 when leading after eight innings” stat they lose a game they were leading after eight innings. George Burns was right: statistics are a horrible bitch goddess.

Brewers 4, Cardinals 1: The Brewers little hot streak continues as they take their eighth win in 11 games. Prince Fielder homered again. He had seven homers at the end of May. Now he has 18.

Pirates 3, Phillies 2; Nationals 2, Mets 1: Can I tell you how
satisfying it is for your team to have a night off and having them still
gain ground in the division because their opponents lost to a couple of
hapless teams?

Athletics 8, Orioles 1: It’s getting to be a stretch to even call the Orioles “hapless” seeing how long
it’s been since they had any hap. It’d be like describing city streets
as “horseless.” I mean, sure, there ain’t no horses out there anymore,
but are we really saying anything meaningful by noting their absence? As for the Athletics, Trevor Cahill wins again after allowing one run over seven innings. Ryan
Sweeney and Chad Cliff Pennington (I have no idea, so don’t ask) each had four hits. Nice performances, but as I was looking at ESPN.com’s little scores page last night I noticed that, for a while at least, their little “top performers” box to the right of the scores had all three positions filled with Athletics. Typical ESPN East Bay bias.

1. YankeesfanLen - Jul 2, 2010 at 7:49 AM

ARod was DH yesterday and lost track of innings. He thought it was a walkoff in the ninth and was wondering why everyone wasn’t whooping it up and getting pies ready when he went by the dugout.And he wanted to hit the buffet. Chagrin.

2. RickyB - Jul 2, 2010 at 9:37 AM

You know, most people don’t use the word hapless correctly. Hapless actually means unfortunate or luckless, but most people use it to mean incapable or incompetent. Which do you mean when referring to the Pirates and Nationals? Really almost interchangeable.

3. tbliggins - Jul 2, 2010 at 10:42 AM

I thought by living in Columbus you forefitted your right to having a soul.

4. Old Gator - Jul 2, 2010 at 10:44 AM

I always took it to mean that they have no haps. Seems simple enough.

5. jwb - Jul 2, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Only if you play football for the local semi-pro team.
    “Hap” is an obsolete word meaning luck or occurrence. It’s related to one of the words in “And That Happened”.

6. YankeesfanLen - Jul 2, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Now that we’ve determined the roots of “hap” does that mean that you’re no longer S-O-L but S-O-H when used in a formal setting? Just wondering in case in comes up at Chelsea’s wedding in reference to Al Gore.

7. Old Gator - Jul 2, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Like I said.

8. Old Gator - Jul 2, 2010 at 12:15 PM

The Feesh didn’t play last night. Ergo, Josh Johnson didn’t give up one unearned run on a pair of errors by his unhapful infielders, the hitters didn’t pop up, strike out or hit into double plays with runners in scoring position, no Feesh baserunner got thrown out on the plate after running through a sign because the new third base coach signaled him to stop at third in English, of which he spoke none, no one who was hap-deprived (but cheap) ran in from the boolpen in the top of the eighth and gave up four runs after pitching to only three hitters after Johnson didn’t leave in the bottom of the seventh after not giving up no earned runs, walking nobody and striking out nine for pinchitter Mike (.167 but cheap) Lamb, who didn’t strike out with a runner on third and two outs, and the Feesh didn’t go down 1-2-3 in the bottom of the ninth after they didn’t fail to score after loading the bases on twelve straight pitches with no one out in the bottom of the eighth.
    It wasn’t a gut-wrenching game, and I didn’t go to sleep grinding my teeth sticking pins in a voodoo doll I don’t have of Scrooge McLoria again.
    I did count my blessings, though.

9. APBA Guy - Jul 2, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Yes, that famous East Bay bias. The A’s should take a hard look at that game, because as I said before the A’s/O’s series began, the O’s are the A’s future if Beane doesn’t wean(e) himself from Tottenham. There’s only $ 1M difference in payroll between the two clubs, but $ 1M in the AL East is the cost of extra baseballs. What I saw last night was a repeat of Tuesday night’s shabby defense, lack of hustle, NL-style overanxious at-bats, and a paucity of player development. Yes they miss Brian Roberts. But really, the O’s infield makes the A’s look like the smoothest, best oiled machine in baseball. The O’s have the worst record in the game this year: 4 wins fewer than Pittsburgh. Think about that. Their team streak of losing seasons is the second longest in baseball, after Pittsburgh.
    Yet Pittsburgh and Baltimore have two of the best stadiums in MLB. Memo to Lew Wolff: cry all you want about the Mausoleum, it’s not the real reason the A’s are losing consistently.

10. Simon DelMonte - Jul 2, 2010 at 1:04 PM

I wish to note that the Mets’ bats might literally have been sleepy, seeing as they arrived in DC from PR at 7 am. It’s not a total excuse for what feels like Road Woes, Part Deux, but it is bizarre that the Feesh were given an off-day and a flight to Atlanta instead. As with some of the other oddities on the schedule, like interleague play inequities and the Mariners visiting the Yankees twice, I scratch my head and ask again who’s in charge.

11. Old Gator - Jul 2, 2010 at 4:00 PM

Partially out of curiosity, but mostly out of tropical holiday weekend lethargy, have the Aureoles ever had a winning season under Peter Angelos?

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3686)