Jul 2, 2010, 8:45 AM EDT
Remember that Buster Olney article I linked yesterday in which he relayed anonymous GM scouting reports on other GMs? Well, Brian Sabean — who was pretty much slammed in it — isn’t happy with the results:
“I’ve never talked to Buster. I tried to reach him today
to have a productive conversation. I was told he polled 12 GMs and 7
responded . . . The article is what it is, but it’s backhanded. There
should be further explanation and there is not. It comes down to
management style, and when it comes down to it, he didn’t poll 30
Sabean’s actually wrong on the numbers: Buster actually got responses from 12 GMs, not seven. Seven of those 12 named Sabean the most difficult guy to deal with. Finding seven GMs to agree on anything seems like a pretty tall order, so I’m willing to give Olney the benefit of the doubt here.
Not that Olney’s poll was perfect or anything. One of the respondents described Arizona Diamondbacks GM Josh Byrnes thusly: “I think he’s smart as hell, he’s well thought-out, and he’s a good
That would be ex-Diamonbacks GM Josh Byrnes, of course. Between his firing and Sabean’s inexplicable longevity, I guess being as smart as hell doesn’t count for much these days.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (74)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (70)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (69)