Kirk Gibson is the new Diamondbacks manager? Cool!

Jul 2, 2010, 9:10 AM EDT

I’m rather struck by the notion of Kirk Gibson as the Diamondbacks new manager.  I know he’s been a bench coach and a hitting coach for a long time — both with the Tigers and the Dbacks, but I’ve never really considered him to be a future manager.

No reason for this, really. I guess I just still picture him as a player and not a coach, mostly because (a) he was one of the biggest personalities on the team I followed as a little kid; and (b) I don’t see a lot of Dbacks games so I haven’t seen him just sort of hanging out in the dugout thinking like coaches and managers do.

In my mind he’s still that fiery player of the 1980s, rounding first with his helmet flying off, snapping at Dodgers teammates for putting shoe polish in his cap and stuff like that. Still: it’s exactly that kind of fire and intensity that so many people like to see in a manager. Or at least in a managerial candidate (the fire often wears thin after Mr. Intensity takes the job).

Gibson has never managed on any level, which was one of A.J. Hinch’s biggest handicaps when he took the job.  I have this feeling, however, that no one is going to give Gibson crap for that.  He might just take their damn head off if they do.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Jul 2, 2010 at 9:16 AM

Is he the GM too or am I missing something?

2. Craig Calcaterra - Jul 2, 2010 at 9:19 AM

You’re only missing the part about me being a big dumb idiot who didn’t drink enough coffee this morning. I fixed the headline.

3. Buccofan - Jul 2, 2010 at 9:28 AM

Craig, you’re not a big dumb idiot. For an idiot, you’re pretty smart.
    j/k, hope you know that.

4. Professor Dave - Jul 2, 2010 at 9:51 AM

Speaking of idiots – what are the D-backs supposed to do now without a GM? They have 30 days to make big decisions. Trade Haren? Trade Snyder? Trade LaRoche? (Ok, so, maybe that last one isn’t so significant). Can they get any value for Qualls, who has been more unlucky than bad? Seems like a bad time to be rudderless, just a month before the trade deadline.

5. Matt S. - Jul 2, 2010 at 10:27 AM

My first thought was THAT Kirk Gibson?
    And yeah, my second thought was “cool!”

6. Old Gator - Jul 2, 2010 at 10:42 AM

I love the pick. It’s like having Wally Backman as a motivational leader without worrying about what he’ll be filmed doing through a motel window some night and released on the internet.
    I like to sit out here under my gazebo, contemplating a weekend during which I get to do even less than I usually do on a normal weekend (much less during the week itself) and musing over what a riot it would be if the Feesh had hired Gibson instead of wasting all that time on Bobby Valentine. It would have been the shortest leadership Tenure since Pope John Paul II. I love the idea of being able to pass through the turnstile at Joeprodolsharklife Stadium under Scrooge McLoria’s head piked on one of the flagpoles.

7. cliff - Jul 2, 2010 at 2:05 PM

Craig,
    Last time the Braves were in Phoenix, somebody caught a quote from Bobby Cox (probably in reference to who might succeed him) in which he said something like “lots of good guys like . . . . “and then said “and that guy over there” (talking about Kirk Gibson).
    That was the first time I had ever heard anybody talk about Kirk Gibson as a manager.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet