Jul 2, 2010, 4:58 PM EST
A rather depressing day in the Bronx, at least for those who root for the Yankees. It’s not yet over as I type this, but a nicely wasted effort on the parts of the Yankees is close to completion.
The wasted part: A.J. Burnett actually pitched well for the first time in a long time. He went six and two-thirds scoreless innings, striking out six. Damaso Marte got Burnett out of a jam in the seventh, but then Joba Chamberlain came in for the eighth and allowed the tying run on a walk and a couple of hits. He left after the inning to a chorus of boos. Mariano Rivera did what he always does in the ninth — kept the other team off the board — but Dave Robertson and Chan Ho Park set fire to the place, allowing the Jays to plate five runs in the 11th.
So the story of the day could be Burnett, but it will likely be the bullpen. Of course one thing it could also be: the Yankees’ unclutchiness. They have stranded runner after runner in this one. No way that they ever should have been playing extra innings.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 286
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (286)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)