Jul 2, 2010, 2:44 PM EDT
Shaun Marcum has exceeded expectations in his return from Tommy John surgery, going 7-4 with a 3.44 ERA and 88/27 K/BB ratio in 107 innings after missing all of last season, but unfortunately the Blue Jays placed him on the disabled list today with more elbow problems.
The good news is that general manager Alex Anthopoulos downplayed the seriousness of the injury, saying Marcum likely could have avoided the DL and missed just one start if the Blue Jays weren’t interested in being “overly cautious”:
It’s not really a concern for us. Shaun would be the first guy to tell you that he’s fine. He said he went through this last year where he stopped throwing for a week and then he was right back at it and he was fine. Like I told Shaun, and I told him this in spring training, too, I said, “Look, we’re going to be overly cautious with you. You know how important you are and you know how good you are.” We expect to have him back right after the break.
Marcum leads the league with 17 starts and is on pace for nearly 220 innings, so even if his elbow hadn’t started barking again giving him some time off probably would have been a good idea anyway.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 23
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 4
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)