Jul 2, 2010, 2:44 PM EDT
Shaun Marcum has exceeded expectations in his return from Tommy John surgery, going 7-4 with a 3.44 ERA and 88/27 K/BB ratio in 107 innings after missing all of last season, but unfortunately the Blue Jays placed him on the disabled list today with more elbow problems.
The good news is that general manager Alex Anthopoulos downplayed the seriousness of the injury, saying Marcum likely could have avoided the DL and missed just one start if the Blue Jays weren’t interested in being “overly cautious”:
It’s not really a concern for us. Shaun would be the first guy to tell you that he’s fine. He said he went through this last year where he stopped throwing for a week and then he was right back at it and he was fine. Like I told Shaun, and I told him this in spring training, too, I said, “Look, we’re going to be overly cautious with you. You know how important you are and you know how good you are.” We expect to have him back right after the break.
Marcum leads the league with 17 starts and is on pace for nearly 220 innings, so even if his elbow hadn’t started barking again giving him some time off probably would have been a good idea anyway.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)