Jul 2, 2010, 8:20 AM EDT
Another bad call in a year full of them. This one came in the 10th inning of the Rays-Twins game last night.
The scene: runners on first and second, Rays batting, no one out, game tied at 4. Willy Aybar singles to left and the go-ahead run scores. As the play continues, Kelly Shoppach, who
had been on first, tried to advance
Delmon Young throws it to Michael Cuddyer at third (query: you happy with Michael Cuddyer playing third, Twins fans? I wouldn’t be). Cuddyer catches it and applies the tag to Shoppach. Watch the video: the overhead shot is fast, but the replay (and the screencap pic above) seems to show the tag, with Shoppach’s jersey even creasing a little and everything. Third base umpire Alfonso Marquez calls Shoppach safe, however, saying that Cuddy missed the tag.
It ended up not mattering — the run would have scored anyway and 5-4 ended up being the final score — but a missed call is a missed call, and we get a lot of those these days.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)