Jul 2, 2010, 8:12 PM EDT
Pretty much backing up Jon Heyman’s report from earlier this afternoon, major league sources tell Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com that the Phillies are interested in re-acquiring Cliff Lee.
The Phillies obviously have other needs to fill after the loss of Chase Utley and lingering concerns about Placido Polanco’s elbow — and they have shown interest in Miguel Tejada and Ty Wigginton, according to Rosenthal — but they also want to upgrade their rotation, with a focus on “top-of-the-rotation types rather than fourth and fifth starters.”
Lee certainly fits that description, and according to one major league source, Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. “will not cut off his nose to spite his face” by refusing to re-acquire the left-hander. In other words, he won’t let his pride stand in the way.
Ultimately, like with most teams in talks with the Mariners, it will come down to how much Lee will cost in the form of prospects. In turn, sources tell Rosenthal that the Phillies view themselves as “a longshot.” Rosenthal writes that they would likely have to give up top prospect Domonic Brown in order to re-acquire Lee, something they are understandably reluctant to do.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 12
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 45
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 45
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 90
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)