Jul 2, 2010, 8:12 PM EDT
Pretty much backing up Jon Heyman’s report from earlier this afternoon, major league sources tell Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com that the Phillies are interested in re-acquiring Cliff Lee.
The Phillies obviously have other needs to fill after the loss of Chase Utley and lingering concerns about Placido Polanco’s elbow — and they have shown interest in Miguel Tejada and Ty Wigginton, according to Rosenthal — but they also want to upgrade their rotation, with a focus on “top-of-the-rotation types rather than fourth and fifth starters.”
Lee certainly fits that description, and according to one major league source, Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. “will not cut off his nose to spite his face” by refusing to re-acquire the left-hander. In other words, he won’t let his pride stand in the way.
Ultimately, like with most teams in talks with the Mariners, it will come down to how much Lee will cost in the form of prospects. In turn, sources tell Rosenthal that the Phillies view themselves as “a longshot.” Rosenthal writes that they would likely have to give up top prospect Domonic Brown in order to re-acquire Lee, something they are understandably reluctant to do.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)