Jul 3, 2010, 12:01 PM EDT
Well, duh. Who wouldn’t be? But don’t forget that there’s some history here.
The Giants took umbrage with Prince Fielder’s choreographed “bowling pin” celebration after a walkoff home run last September, but Barry Zito told Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News that it shouldn’t stand in the way of a potential trade.
“I don’t see why not,” Zito
said. “If someone is a San Francisco Giant, he’s a San Francisco Giant,
and we put everything in the past behind us. We’re all grown men. If
we’re all going for the same cause, we’re all together. That’s what
Zito plunked Fielder in retaliation during spring training — that 85 mph fastball really sent a massage, I’m sure — however the two teams have yet to meet during the regular season. They’ll kick off a four-game series in Milwaukee on Monday.
It’s nice to hear that Zito is willing to forgive and forget, but the conversation may all be for naught.
While Mychael Urban of CSNBayArea.com says the Brewers want Jonathan Sanchez and prospect outfielder Thomas Neal in exchange for Fielder (hm?), Buster Olney of ESPN.com reports that there have been no recent talks between the teams.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 45
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 123
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 86
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (123)