Jul 3, 2010, 12:01 PM EDT
Well, duh. Who wouldn’t be? But don’t forget that there’s some history here.
The Giants took umbrage with Prince Fielder’s choreographed “bowling pin” celebration after a walkoff home run last September, but Barry Zito told Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News that it shouldn’t stand in the way of a potential trade.
“I don’t see why not,” Zito
said. “If someone is a San Francisco Giant, he’s a San Francisco Giant,
and we put everything in the past behind us. We’re all grown men. If
we’re all going for the same cause, we’re all together. That’s what
Zito plunked Fielder in retaliation during spring training — that 85 mph fastball really sent a massage, I’m sure — however the two teams have yet to meet during the regular season. They’ll kick off a four-game series in Milwaukee on Monday.
It’s nice to hear that Zito is willing to forgive and forget, but the conversation may all be for naught.
While Mychael Urban of CSNBayArea.com says the Brewers want Jonathan Sanchez and prospect outfielder Thomas Neal in exchange for Fielder (hm?), Buster Olney of ESPN.com reports that there have been no recent talks between the teams.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 115
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 155
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (173)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (155)