Jul 3, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
Jose Reyes told reporters Saturday that his oblique muscle is still sore, and according to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com, he said that a return to the starting lineup on Sunday is unrealistic.
Reyes hasn’t played since tweaking the oblique muscle on his right side during batting practice at Hiram Bithorn Stadium in Puerto Rico on Wednesday. The speedy shortstop took groundballs before Friday’s game against the Nationals, but according to David Lennon of New York Newsday, he is doing no activity at all on Saturday.
It’s easy to take the whole “here we go again route” with how the Mets are handling this situation — especially after the hemming and hawing regarding his thyroid condition during spring training — but oblique injuries send players to the disabled list on a regular basis. The initial diagnosis of the injury was muddied by semantics, but we shouldn’t be surprised if he needs a few days off.
Ultimately, it’s a touch and feel thing. Reyes could be just fine for Monday’s game against the Reds. Then again, he might not. Besides, I doubt many Mets fans would have a problem if they just shut him down through the All-Star break if that means the injury would be fully healed in time for the second half. Seeing Alex Cora in the lineup isn’t fun — last night’s three-run triple notwithstanding — but there’s too much to lose by rushing Reyes back out there.
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 4
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 12
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (103)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)