Jul 3, 2010, 8:45 AM EST
Looks like Manny gets to start his vacation early.
Three sources told Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times that Manny Ramirez will be placed on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right hamstring. The Dodgers will call up Xavier Paul from Triple-A Albuquerque in a corresponding roster move.
Ramirez hasn’t played since suffering the injury on the basepaths during Tuesday’s game against the Giants. Before Friday’s game, Dodgers manager Joe Torre not only said that Ramirez would likely be unavailable this weekend, but that a trip to the disabled list was still being discussed.
“We have to figure out to what degree it will get better and what does
that get us. Is he going to be a player by Tuesday? Or is he going to be
a pinch-hitter by Monday or Tuesday? I think we have to decide if that’s worth playing a man short.”
Apparently not. Besides, the upcoming All-Star break gives the opportunity to rest players for a few extra days without missing any additional game action. No need to take any chances.
Ramirez is batting .322/.412/.525 with eight homers, 39 RBI and a 937 OPS over 183 at-bats this season. He was previously placed on the disabled list in late April with a left calf strain.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 289
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (289)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)