Jul 3, 2010, 8:45 AM EDT
Looks like Manny gets to start his vacation early.
Three sources told Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times that Manny Ramirez will be placed on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right hamstring. The Dodgers will call up Xavier Paul from Triple-A Albuquerque in a corresponding roster move.
Ramirez hasn’t played since suffering the injury on the basepaths during Tuesday’s game against the Giants. Before Friday’s game, Dodgers manager Joe Torre not only said that Ramirez would likely be unavailable this weekend, but that a trip to the disabled list was still being discussed.
“We have to figure out to what degree it will get better and what does
that get us. Is he going to be a player by Tuesday? Or is he going to be
a pinch-hitter by Monday or Tuesday? I think we have to decide if that’s worth playing a man short.”
Apparently not. Besides, the upcoming All-Star break gives the opportunity to rest players for a few extra days without missing any additional game action. No need to take any chances.
Ramirez is batting .322/.412/.525 with eight homers, 39 RBI and a 937 OPS over 183 at-bats this season. He was previously placed on the disabled list in late April with a left calf strain.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 0
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 0
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 127
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 97
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (129)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)