Jul 3, 2010, 8:45 AM EST
Looks like Manny gets to start his vacation early.
Three sources told Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times that Manny Ramirez will be placed on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right hamstring. The Dodgers will call up Xavier Paul from Triple-A Albuquerque in a corresponding roster move.
Ramirez hasn’t played since suffering the injury on the basepaths during Tuesday’s game against the Giants. Before Friday’s game, Dodgers manager Joe Torre not only said that Ramirez would likely be unavailable this weekend, but that a trip to the disabled list was still being discussed.
“We have to figure out to what degree it will get better and what does
that get us. Is he going to be a player by Tuesday? Or is he going to be
a pinch-hitter by Monday or Tuesday? I think we have to decide if that’s worth playing a man short.”
Apparently not. Besides, the upcoming All-Star break gives the opportunity to rest players for a few extra days without missing any additional game action. No need to take any chances.
Ramirez is batting .322/.412/.525 with eight homers, 39 RBI and a 937 OPS over 183 at-bats this season. He was previously placed on the disabled list in late April with a left calf strain.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)