Jul 3, 2010, 8:45 AM EDT
Looks like Manny gets to start his vacation early.
Three sources told Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times that Manny Ramirez will be placed on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right hamstring. The Dodgers will call up Xavier Paul from Triple-A Albuquerque in a corresponding roster move.
Ramirez hasn’t played since suffering the injury on the basepaths during Tuesday’s game against the Giants. Before Friday’s game, Dodgers manager Joe Torre not only said that Ramirez would likely be unavailable this weekend, but that a trip to the disabled list was still being discussed.
“We have to figure out to what degree it will get better and what does
that get us. Is he going to be a player by Tuesday? Or is he going to be
a pinch-hitter by Monday or Tuesday? I think we have to decide if that’s worth playing a man short.”
Apparently not. Besides, the upcoming All-Star break gives the opportunity to rest players for a few extra days without missing any additional game action. No need to take any chances.
Ramirez is batting .322/.412/.525 with eight homers, 39 RBI and a 937 OPS over 183 at-bats this season. He was previously placed on the disabled list in late April with a left calf strain.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 36
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 213
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 42
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (213)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (103)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)