Jul 3, 2010, 8:45 AM EST
Looks like Manny gets to start his vacation early.
Three sources told Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times that Manny Ramirez will be placed on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right hamstring. The Dodgers will call up Xavier Paul from Triple-A Albuquerque in a corresponding roster move.
Ramirez hasn’t played since suffering the injury on the basepaths during Tuesday’s game against the Giants. Before Friday’s game, Dodgers manager Joe Torre not only said that Ramirez would likely be unavailable this weekend, but that a trip to the disabled list was still being discussed.
“We have to figure out to what degree it will get better and what does
that get us. Is he going to be a player by Tuesday? Or is he going to be
a pinch-hitter by Monday or Tuesday? I think we have to decide if that’s worth playing a man short.”
Apparently not. Besides, the upcoming All-Star break gives the opportunity to rest players for a few extra days without missing any additional game action. No need to take any chances.
Ramirez is batting .322/.412/.525 with eight homers, 39 RBI and a 937 OPS over 183 at-bats this season. He was previously placed on the disabled list in late April with a left calf strain.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)