Jul 4, 2010, 2:42 PM EDT
Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse reports that the Diamondbacks have designated left-hander Dontrelle Willis for assignment.
Really, it’s about time. D-Train completely failed as a starter for Arizona, allowing 14 earned runs and 27 walks in 21.1 innings (five starts). He was moved to the bullpen at the end of June and allowed three earned runs in one relief outing.
Willis could make it through waivers unclaimed and return to the Diamondbacks’ Triple-A affiliate, or perhaps another organization will give him a shot.
Either way, the struggles will almost certainly continue. The southpaw has a 5.62 ERA and a 1.95 WHIP in 65.2 total innings this season, along with a hideous 47/56 K/BB ratio.
The D’Backs acquired Dontrelle from the Tigers on June 1 for right-hander Billy Buckner, who has a 7.47 ERA, a 1.92 WHIP and an 18/13 K/BB ratio at Triple-A Toledo.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 11
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 16
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)