Jul 4, 2010, 2:42 PM EDT
Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse reports that the Diamondbacks have designated left-hander Dontrelle Willis for assignment.
Really, it’s about time. D-Train completely failed as a starter for Arizona, allowing 14 earned runs and 27 walks in 21.1 innings (five starts). He was moved to the bullpen at the end of June and allowed three earned runs in one relief outing.
Willis could make it through waivers unclaimed and return to the Diamondbacks’ Triple-A affiliate, or perhaps another organization will give him a shot.
Either way, the struggles will almost certainly continue. The southpaw has a 5.62 ERA and a 1.95 WHIP in 65.2 total innings this season, along with a hideous 47/56 K/BB ratio.
The D’Backs acquired Dontrelle from the Tigers on June 1 for right-hander Billy Buckner, who has a 7.47 ERA, a 1.92 WHIP and an 18/13 K/BB ratio at Triple-A Toledo.
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 6
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 19
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 10
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 68
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)