Jul 4, 2010, 8:41 AM EDT
SUNDAY, 8:41 AM: Hoynes says that Choo has been placed on the 15-day disabled list. Michael Brantley was recalled in a corresponding roster move.
SATURDAY, 4:49 PM: Indians manager Manny Acta said that Choo was scheduled to undergo an MRI on his right thumb Saturday. There’s no timetable for his return.
4:16 PM: Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that Choo is out of the starting lineup Saturday due to a sprained right thumb.
10:51 AM: Shin-Soo Choo exited Friday’s game against the Athletics with an injury to his right hand, according to John Barone of MLB.com. Choo suffered the injury while attempting to make a diving catch on a Jack Cust flyball in the top of the eighth inning. He wasn’t removed immediately from the game, but was replaced in right field by Austin Kearns to begin the top of the ninth.
According to Indians manager Manny Acta, the severity of the injury is not yet known.
“We’re still evaluating him,” Acta said. “We’ll know more [Saturday].”
Choo is batting .286/.390/.475 with 13 home runs, 43 RBI, 12 stolen bases and 48 runs scored over his first 301 at-bats this season. He’s the most logical candidate to represent the Indians in this month’s All-Star Game.
The Indians obviously aren’t going anywhere, but any lengthy absence would be a tough blow to an already lacking lineup. The Tribe is currently trying to get by without Grady Sizemore and Asdrubal Cabrera.
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 0
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 19
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 35
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 47
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)