Jul 4, 2010, 8:41 AM EDT
SUNDAY, 8:41 AM: Hoynes says that Choo has been placed on the 15-day disabled list. Michael Brantley was recalled in a corresponding roster move.
SATURDAY, 4:49 PM: Indians manager Manny Acta said that Choo was scheduled to undergo an MRI on his right thumb Saturday. There’s no timetable for his return.
4:16 PM: Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that Choo is out of the starting lineup Saturday due to a sprained right thumb.
10:51 AM: Shin-Soo Choo exited Friday’s game against the Athletics with an injury to his right hand, according to John Barone of MLB.com. Choo suffered the injury while attempting to make a diving catch on a Jack Cust flyball in the top of the eighth inning. He wasn’t removed immediately from the game, but was replaced in right field by Austin Kearns to begin the top of the ninth.
According to Indians manager Manny Acta, the severity of the injury is not yet known.
“We’re still evaluating him,” Acta said. “We’ll know more [Saturday].”
Choo is batting .286/.390/.475 with 13 home runs, 43 RBI, 12 stolen bases and 48 runs scored over his first 301 at-bats this season. He’s the most logical candidate to represent the Indians in this month’s All-Star Game.
The Indians obviously aren’t going anywhere, but any lengthy absence would be a tough blow to an already lacking lineup. The Tribe is currently trying to get by without Grady Sizemore and Asdrubal Cabrera.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 3
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 5
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)