Jul 4, 2010, 8:41 AM EDT
SUNDAY, 8:41 AM: Hoynes says that Choo has been placed on the 15-day disabled list. Michael Brantley was recalled in a corresponding roster move.
SATURDAY, 4:49 PM: Indians manager Manny Acta said that Choo was scheduled to undergo an MRI on his right thumb Saturday. There’s no timetable for his return.
4:16 PM: Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that Choo is out of the starting lineup Saturday due to a sprained right thumb.
10:51 AM: Shin-Soo Choo exited Friday’s game against the Athletics with an injury to his right hand, according to John Barone of MLB.com. Choo suffered the injury while attempting to make a diving catch on a Jack Cust flyball in the top of the eighth inning. He wasn’t removed immediately from the game, but was replaced in right field by Austin Kearns to begin the top of the ninth.
According to Indians manager Manny Acta, the severity of the injury is not yet known.
“We’re still evaluating him,” Acta said. “We’ll know more [Saturday].”
Choo is batting .286/.390/.475 with 13 home runs, 43 RBI, 12 stolen bases and 48 runs scored over his first 301 at-bats this season. He’s the most logical candidate to represent the Indians in this month’s All-Star Game.
The Indians obviously aren’t going anywhere, but any lengthy absence would be a tough blow to an already lacking lineup. The Tribe is currently trying to get by without Grady Sizemore and Asdrubal Cabrera.
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 0
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 4
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 5
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 34
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)