Jul 4, 2010, 8:41 AM EDT
SUNDAY, 8:41 AM: Hoynes says that Choo has been placed on the 15-day disabled list. Michael Brantley was recalled in a corresponding roster move.
SATURDAY, 4:49 PM: Indians manager Manny Acta said that Choo was scheduled to undergo an MRI on his right thumb Saturday. There’s no timetable for his return.
4:16 PM: Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that Choo is out of the starting lineup Saturday due to a sprained right thumb.
10:51 AM: Shin-Soo Choo exited Friday’s game against the Athletics with an injury to his right hand, according to John Barone of MLB.com. Choo suffered the injury while attempting to make a diving catch on a Jack Cust flyball in the top of the eighth inning. He wasn’t removed immediately from the game, but was replaced in right field by Austin Kearns to begin the top of the ninth.
According to Indians manager Manny Acta, the severity of the injury is not yet known.
“We’re still evaluating him,” Acta said. “We’ll know more [Saturday].”
Choo is batting .286/.390/.475 with 13 home runs, 43 RBI, 12 stolen bases and 48 runs scored over his first 301 at-bats this season. He’s the most logical candidate to represent the Indians in this month’s All-Star Game.
The Indians obviously aren’t going anywhere, but any lengthy absence would be a tough blow to an already lacking lineup. The Tribe is currently trying to get by without Grady Sizemore and Asdrubal Cabrera.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)