Jul 4, 2010, 8:41 AM EDT
SUNDAY, 8:41 AM: Hoynes says that Choo has been placed on the 15-day disabled list. Michael Brantley was recalled in a corresponding roster move.
SATURDAY, 4:49 PM: Indians manager Manny Acta said that Choo was scheduled to undergo an MRI on his right thumb Saturday. There’s no timetable for his return.
4:16 PM: Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that Choo is out of the starting lineup Saturday due to a sprained right thumb.
10:51 AM: Shin-Soo Choo exited Friday’s game against the Athletics with an injury to his right hand, according to John Barone of MLB.com. Choo suffered the injury while attempting to make a diving catch on a Jack Cust flyball in the top of the eighth inning. He wasn’t removed immediately from the game, but was replaced in right field by Austin Kearns to begin the top of the ninth.
According to Indians manager Manny Acta, the severity of the injury is not yet known.
“We’re still evaluating him,” Acta said. “We’ll know more [Saturday].”
Choo is batting .286/.390/.475 with 13 home runs, 43 RBI, 12 stolen bases and 48 runs scored over his first 301 at-bats this season. He’s the most logical candidate to represent the Indians in this month’s All-Star Game.
The Indians obviously aren’t going anywhere, but any lengthy absence would be a tough blow to an already lacking lineup. The Tribe is currently trying to get by without Grady Sizemore and Asdrubal Cabrera.
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 2
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 39
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)