Jul 5, 2010, 5:16 PM EDT
It’s approximately 165 degrees here in the Midwest today, so heading out to see a day game was already an iffy proposition for Tigers fans. Those who used their day off work to do so were greeted with one of the uglier games of the past couple of weeks, as the Tigers and Orioles decided to have a pitching-optional Monday matinee.
O’s starter Kevin Millwood was pulled after a single inning having allowed five runs on four hits and a couple of walks. Staked to a 5-1 lead, Tigers starter Andy Oliver promptly came out and allowed five of his own in the top of the second, finishing his day having allowed six runs in an inning and two-thirds. The Tigers bullpen stopped the bleeding more effectively than the Orioles’ did, however, and Detroit ended up winning going away.
Millwood was supposed to be an attractive bit of merchandise at the trade deadline, but he’s been basically dreadful since the first of May, watching his ERA shoot from 3.15 to 5.77 in that time. As for Oliver, he looks to be the latest Detroit pitcher to need the Toledo cure, following Max Scherzer and Rick Porcello down 1-75.
Let’s hope this evening brings us some better baseball than this afternoon.
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 20
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 5
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 63
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 13
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (111)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games