Jul 5, 2010, 5:16 PM EDT
It’s approximately 165 degrees here in the Midwest today, so heading out to see a day game was already an iffy proposition for Tigers fans. Those who used their day off work to do so were greeted with one of the uglier games of the past couple of weeks, as the Tigers and Orioles decided to have a pitching-optional Monday matinee.
O’s starter Kevin Millwood was pulled after a single inning having allowed five runs on four hits and a couple of walks. Staked to a 5-1 lead, Tigers starter Andy Oliver promptly came out and allowed five of his own in the top of the second, finishing his day having allowed six runs in an inning and two-thirds. The Tigers bullpen stopped the bleeding more effectively than the Orioles’ did, however, and Detroit ended up winning going away.
Millwood was supposed to be an attractive bit of merchandise at the trade deadline, but he’s been basically dreadful since the first of May, watching his ERA shoot from 3.15 to 5.77 in that time. As for Oliver, he looks to be the latest Detroit pitcher to need the Toledo cure, following Max Scherzer and Rick Porcello down 1-75.
Let’s hope this evening brings us some better baseball than this afternoon.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 77
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 78
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 61
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)