Jul 5, 2010, 7:15 PM EDT
The last prognosis we heard regarding Chase Utley was that it would be eight weeks before he could make it back to the Phillies’ lineup. Todd Zolecki is tweeting, however, that Utley is planning on coming back sooner than that, saying that it will take five weeks to heal, one week to get his mobility back and then it’s go-time.
I’m sure he can do it if he sets his mind to it because he’s Chase Utley and that’s just how he’s wired. But there’s a big difference between being tough enough and determined enough to start playing baseball sooner than people thought you could and actually playing baseball at a high level within that time frame.
Put differently: someone who is not as emotionally involved in Chase Utley’s comeback needs to determine whether a 60-75% effective Chase Utley is preferable to a 100% Wilson Valedez or whatever.
Wait, I’m even asking that?
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)