Jul 5, 2010, 10:35 PM EST
As expected, the Red Sox placed Clay Buchholz on the disabled list this afternoon and announced plans to call up left-hander Felix Doubront to start tomorrow night against the Rays.
That means Buchholz won’t be available to pitch in the All-Star game, but because the DL stint is retroactive to June 27 the Red Sox are hoping he’ll be ready to pitch one of the first few games following the break.
Presumably the AL will add another starting pitcher to the roster as his replacement, with Francisco Liriano, Jered Weaver, Andy Pettitte, and Felix Hernandez standing out as the obvious choices.
Doubront won his big-league debut last month against the Dodgers, but didn’t actually pitch particularly well and the 22-year-old southpaw has posted mediocre strikeout-to-walk ratios despite impressive-looking ERAs in the minors.
UPDATE: Sure enough, Andy Pettitte has been tabbed to replace Buchholz on the All-Star roster.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (202)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)