Jul 5, 2010, 8:53 PM EST
You know the idea that Edinson Volquez would return from the disabled list this week in order for Mike Leake to be skipped in the rotation headed into the All-Star break? Yeah, you can probably scratch that.
According to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com, Volquez will likely need another minor league rehab start before he is cleared to return from the disabled list. If true, that would push his return past the All-Star break. The rehabbing right-hander gave up two runs over five innings for Triple-A Louisville on Sunday, but that wasn’t nearly enough for Reds general manager Walt Jocketty to give the go-ahead.
“I’d think probably not,” Jocketty said. “He only pitched five innings.
We can’t have that up here.”
The Reds wanted Volquez to throw over 100 pitches a couple times before being activated from the disabled list, but he threw 87 (46 for strikes) on Sunday and 90 last Tuesday. He’s not quite there yet.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)