Jul 5, 2010, 8:53 PM EDT
You know the idea that Edinson Volquez would return from the disabled list this week in order for Mike Leake to be skipped in the rotation headed into the All-Star break? Yeah, you can probably scratch that.
According to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com, Volquez will likely need another minor league rehab start before he is cleared to return from the disabled list. If true, that would push his return past the All-Star break. The rehabbing right-hander gave up two runs over five innings for Triple-A Louisville on Sunday, but that wasn’t nearly enough for Reds general manager Walt Jocketty to give the go-ahead.
“I’d think probably not,” Jocketty said. “He only pitched five innings.
We can’t have that up here.”
The Reds wanted Volquez to throw over 100 pitches a couple times before being activated from the disabled list, but he threw 87 (46 for strikes) on Sunday and 90 last Tuesday. He’s not quite there yet.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)